Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ever wanted more legroom your 80?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
As comfy as they are, if you are 6' + you'll doubtless get that 'leg-burn' after a couple of hours at which point you need a motorway services and a walk about. The leather seats are actually fatter and slightly worse than the fabric seats. I extended the brackets on my GS quite simply as they are manual. But the VX electric seats are a bit more tricky.

There are a couple of options out there which are a bolt in upgrade but they only seem to be available Stateside. Even if you could put them in your cabin baggage the cheapest is still $99. Add postage and UK robber's tax and you're up around the £140 mark. It's a lot for what they are, but then the benefit is considerable.

Having wanted to do this for a while, I decided that today was the day and after breakfast I got stuck in.

It started with cutting some blanks. I figured I'd make a few sets and capitalise on Henry Ford's philosophy on mass production thinking. Set up once and run parts through one operation at a time.

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 21.49.53.jpg

First job was to put in some pilot holes

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 21.55.31.jpg

And after multiple processes and some considerable time later; and I do mean considerable ....

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 21.59.51.jpg

Next job was to fit them to the seat. There's a bit of work to do and some grinding, trimming etc and fiddling around with bits and bobs. But then basically I ran out of time and tea was calling. So after a quick trial fit, I left it for the day.

But they are spot on. Great fit first time. No fettling.

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 22.03.46.jpg

You have to fit one per side obviously but the mounts are universal despite the mod to each track being slightly different on each side. According to those who have done this mod, an extra 2" of track gives considerably more leg room due to the geometry of your knees I guess.

Good work Chris, I always felt too close to the windscreen in the 80; I put it down to there being three rows of forward facings seats, plus the Japs aren't known for their long legs. Even the 105 could still do with more legroom.

How does this affect the seat going forwards for little legs?

I'm 6'3"ish, whilst mrs is 5' (on a good day)... In the 4Runner I just lob the seat all the way back and I sort of fit in, whilst Delz is puts it nearly all the way forwards; one day the plan is to upgrade to an 80, so this is of interest.

Sorry, I haven't a clue Ed. I wasn't trying to get closer to the steering wheel. What it does do is makes it go further back but not at the expense of its most forward position. It actually raises the max seat height by .75" so I understand.

Why on earth would I let my wife drive the 80? I fact I'm not sure it's actually legal here in the UK.

Just checked and I am correct. There is a clause though that allows her to drive it to and from a public house as long as I am a passenger. Hopefully that won't change after we leave the EU

Sorry, I haven't a clue Ed. I wasn't trying to get closer to the steering wheel. What it does do is makes it go further back but not at the expense of its most forward position. It actually raises the max seat height by .75" so I understand.

Why on earth would I let my wife drive the 80? I fact I'm not sure it's actually legal here in the UK.

Just checked and I am correct. There is a clause though that allows her to drive it to and from a public house as long as I am a passenger. Hopefully that won't change after we leave the EU

I could do with one of those clauses here in Aus in the last 3 days I have:
1) Been sent to work twice in the rain on the motorbike... she took the 4Runner
2) Drove home from the brewery...

Interesting that it lifted the seat - how did it go on eyeline to the top of screen? The 4Runner isn't great for that, so I'd not want to lift the seat too much...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Errm, if you read the thread again Ed, you'll see I haven't actually got it back in the truck yet as it got late and I stopped for the day. I'll post findings when I get some time to fiddle about and get it reassembled. It lifts the seat mechanism to give better clearances to allow the runners to move further. I'm still working it out TBH. Not quite sure what hits what in the first place.

For what it's worth, I'm no 6' er, but after changing the collapsed (manual) seats in the 80 for leather (out of a Mazda 8) I now have a motorized seat that individually raises an lowers the front of the seat and/or the rear of the seat, allowing the whole seat to be raised (at the angle of your choice) and it's great!

I'm now sitting a good 3" higher than the old (collapsed) seat, and I still have sufficient headroom. It will go even higher, but I've found the optimum position for me, and it's great for my back too (the main incentive for changing them).

The road view is fabulous, imagine a lifted truck, with a lifted seat, I can see everything.

Lovely looking bit of machining and fabrication there Chris, as usual...

Sorry for the thread-jack... :shifty:

Reactions: Ben
Clive I think he must be talking to you mate :whistle:

Can't be me. I'm not even up to my fighting weight. Cough.

ah. height increase. I don't need the extra leg room but the height increase is interesting. ive never actually had the seats out as ive had no reason to. would it be easy enough to just "pack" the seats up?

So, the verdict on these puppies?

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 14.27.00.jpg

Amazing. I don't know how they work, but they change the seat geometry somehow and whilst they don't LOOK to move the seat back that much, on full reverse, I have to stretch to reach the shift lever to get it out of park.

I'm going to fit a set to the blue one for sure. Well I would if I had a blue one somewhere hidden away. Which of course I might have or I might not have.

Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 14.30.47.jpg

I'd love to have more legroom but I already spend most trips getting kicked in the back by a 2 year old!! It's almost worth taking the drawers out to refit the 3rd row!!!

Blue ones are mythical beasts Chris, the stuff of legend and all that

Chris had fitted a set of these to his green 80 just before he sold it to me.

I'm 6'3" and a fat knacker to boot and I'm very comfy with the seat about 1" forward of the furthest aft position.

One of the potential issues that I'd read about prior to buying an 80 was the potential lack of space in the front.

I'm glad to say that with the seat mod's I have no problem with space in the front.

Good to hear Guy. I looked at making something for manual seats but they're totally different and I found it better to simply make new brackets to mount the seat on. It's a shame they aren't universal because they're a much more elegant solution.

Just resurrecting this old thread as I still have a couple of sets of brackets to hand. I did think there'd be more interest to be honest and was gearing up to make more, but it seems that most 80 owners must have short legs.

Having just read this thread Chris, I was unaware you had made some to sell, thought they were all for your fleet of 80s, or have I missed something somewhere?
Nice machining and finish BTW.

Back