Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Exhaust heat shield: Toyota say.....

Sam

Garage
Hi all...

Just took my 2003 LC4 in to see Mr T with a somewhat unsettling metal on metal grinding.

Broken rear heat shield they say. Fallen off (no impact) and is grinding on the prop they say.

.... they also say £183.43

Sooooo, does it sound right that I need a £180 replacement and not something simple like a bracket? I've not seen one.

I'm going to call them back in a bit but I thought I'd check with the folks who know before I have to start offering body parts. :grimacing:

Hi all...

Just took my 2003 LC4 in to see Mr T with a somewhat unsettling metal on metal grinding.

Broken rear heat shield they say. Fallen off (no impact) and is grinding on the prop they say.

.... they also say £183.43

Sooooo, does it sound right that I need a £180 replacement and not something simple like a bracket? I've not seen one.

I'm going to call them back in a bit but I thought I'd check with the folks who know before I have to start offering body parts. :grimacing:

It's probably the tin foil tray above the silencer box that the fixing bolts wear through. You probably need a couple of washers. But what you really need to do is lie underneath it and have a look. Might be able to bodge something quite well with a stainless cable tie. Mine fell off a few years ago never to be seen again and my floor hasn't melted yet. You could just yank it off.

Yup you are right Rob... it would have been good to have had the time to get under it myself.

As it was I was out and about and the noise was grindy enough to just limp to Toyota for a checkup.

And here's the latest from Romford Toyota....

The current bill, before deciding whether to fix it, stands at £120... that it one hundred and twenty GB pounds sterling to put it up on the ramp and pull the old heat shield (already broken) off.

Time to find a local independant servicing garage it seems.

Tell them you would like a full breakdown of costs so you can drop it at the office of fair trading on your way to a proper garage .

Should add that OFT won't do anything and i would probably just bin the breakdown sheet but i would still ask for it because such things make white collar criminals uncomfortable .

Last edited:
Yup - would be a nice touch Shayne :)

Update is that £120 diagnosis fee is offset against the daft cost of repair.

Parts dept say the heat shield is £72 + vat ... so £86ish
So that's £100 to (cough) "diagnose" the problem and fit a new one.

Even with giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying that the rear section of exhaust needs to come off and back on....... ... .... sigh.

Really should have found the time to get it back and get under it properly.

Last edited:
Mine came off too and I refitted with a few big washers. Salty roads and dissimilar metal type corrosion. Fortunately the studs and nuts were salvageable. And I did it without removing any exhaust, whilst lying on the garage floor. Didn't even jack it up as I recall.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dammit yeah... it really would be that easy wouldn't it. If I could get it back from Toyota I would do it myself tonight... but they wont give it back without paying £120 for diagnosing the issue plus the £80 for the new shield. I appreciate they want paying.. we all want paying... but this is a bit daft.

Going to have to go down and talk some sense into them. :rage:

Citizens advice can help with this by simply calling them and asking for the facts .

Mine came off too and I refitted with a few big washers. Salty roads and dissimilar metal type corrosion. Fortunately the studs and nuts were salvageable. And I did it without removing any exhaust, whilst lying on the garage floor. Didn't even jack it up as I recall.

Same here: my 140k mile 2003 lc4 heat shield can be rattly... I just find the offending nut, remove it, add a big washer and replace. 10 min job per nut.

Washers are on offer at lidl as we speak!

I see Romford Toyota are following the trend set by Romford BMW they charge a similar amount per hour. Main dealers do have large overheads and many staff salaries to cover, so it's not surprising what could have been a simple repair comes with a large bill attached. Although some main dealers are some what brain washed into only working on young vehicles and are not very talented/encouraged to do the kind of repair an older vehicle can require, they're in the business of selling and fitting new (sometimes expensive) parts.

Good luck with getting a discount, perhaps angling your approach from the point of view of the vehicles age? Some manufacturers discount parts for older vehicles 10+ years, perhaps they'll do a discount on the total price for you? After all the diagnosis could not have taken long.

I've only used Romford Toyota for the odd part on a couple of occasions, but not in recent years. I don't use anyone local for Toyota work, I do my own work whenever time permits.

Infront Autos is only a stones throw from Romford Toyota, I haven't used them, but do known a guy that used to work there, and the owners previously had an interest in off-roading. Could be worth a look/ask.

Back