Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

exhaust

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
i had some spare time today so decided to sort the exhaust out on my LJ70.

i needed to change the down pipe, which bolts onto the manifold. so i removed the old one which was a bit tricky and involved flexible head ratchet spanners and a lot of patience.

once id removed it i compared it to the new one which i bought about 6 months ago. i then realised that they wernt the same. :thumbdown:

P1030003.jpg

P1030003-1.jpg

P1030004.jpg

P1030006.jpg

so i cut the flange off the manifold end of the new exhaust section, then pushed a piece of tube 105mm long into the new exhaust section, followed by the flange from the old exhaust. all pushed together nicely and were a tight fit.

P1030007.jpg

P1030008.jpg

i also made up a bracket out of 3mm steel that i bent and drilled.

P1030009.jpg

i then bolted everything in place and when i was happy with it, i tack welded it. i then removed the complete section and fully welded it all together.

P1030010.jpg

i then gave my welds a quick coat of high heat paint.

P1030011.jpg

P1030012.jpg

once the new section was bolted in place, i turned my attention to the rest of the system. so firstly i removed it all.

P1030014.jpg

P1030016.jpg

looking through my pile of metal i found a piece of scaffold tube that i originally bent up for the tube work on my ARB style bumper, but i never used it as it had a few kinks in it.

it looked the perfect size, so i welded a flange onto it, and bolted it on. :thumbup:

P1030017.jpg

P1030022.jpg

P1030024.jpg

P1030025.jpg

i thought i may need to fit a silencer, but ive just taken it for a 10mile test drive and it sounds beautiful and isnt too loud.

when backing off the throttle to change gear theres a lovely induction woosh.

there is also a noticeable improvement in power.

next i want to blank off the EGR valve and then get the fuel pressure and boost tweaked.

ive already got my snorkel with the ram air top, induction kit, intercooler, and now the straight through exhaust. :twisted:

Great bit of improvisation Ben :cool: Your trucks looking pretty darn tough now; you ought get on down to Lincomb for a play now ;-)

Gav Peter said:
Great bit of improvisation Ben :cool: Your trucks looking pretty darn tough now; you ought get on down to Lincomb for a play now ;-)

thanks mate. :thumbup:

see you there. ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've just curled the pipes on the egr round and wired them closed - I dont know about power but its starting a damn sight less smoky, previously was lumpy for about 20 seconds, now hardly any lumpiness.

Truck looks great.

Pete

thanks guys. im very pleased with it. :thumbup:

Back