Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Experience with cheap ebay rear calipers?

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
One of mine needs a new piston (possibly scratched bore too) and the other isn't great either. For the price of a rebuild kit and a few hours of my time I'm weighing up the option of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-For...h=item33ef97e908:g:SBYAAOSw3q5aVt05:rk:7:pf:0

I went down this route with my cheap daily audi a3 a few months go and they are still working fine.

Has anyone bought them before? Theres also another listing for some at £98, probably from the same factory just a different seller.

One of mine needs a new piston (possibly scratched bore too) and the other isn't great either. For the price of a rebuild kit and a few hours of my time I'm weighing up the option of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-For...h=item33ef97e908:g:SBYAAOSw3q5aVt05:rk:7:pf:0

I went down this route with my cheap daily audi a3 a few months go and they are still working fine.

Has anyone bought them before? Theres also another listing for some at £98, probably from the same factory just a different seller.
I have had dealings with this seller before but not for callipers. They are China based. so returns if they are crap could be a problem.. Iv just replaced the callipers on my 120 from a Seller on ebay called KVA distributors, They were top quality, Excellent service, and UK based .. They might do them for an 80...

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-of-...h=item3639f478d0:g:F7cAAOSwAldZ0jc0:rk:4:pf:0.... Could not fault the service from these Guys. Mine arrived 2 days before the Est delivery date.. Personally I wouldn't bother with re build kits, For the price of new callipers, Don't think its worth the agro.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-L...=item4d40fbbf0f:g:3wcAAOSwoudW5q-w:rk:15:pf:0
not just that its near same price as new calipers , if the bores in the calipers are scored pitted or worn its a waste of time buying and fitting a rebuild kit ,

I just got a pair from my local independent Motor factors.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Which likely came from the same factory in China as all the rest mentioned here , what's to fail on an identical copy ?
Good call Shayne, Toyota have a factory in China, at Changchun City, Sichuan, so probably Toyotas stuff too is made in China.. To be fair everythings made in china. Even my De Walt work boots im wearing , got made in China on 'em'...

That’s just it. It doesn’t really matter where things are made, it’s the quality control and in this case the make up of the metal that makes the difference between good and junk.

Good call Shayne, Toyota have a factory in China, at Changchun City, Sichuan, so probably Toyotas stuff too is made in China.. To be fair everythings made in china. Even my De Walt work boots im wearing , got made in China on 'em'...
I have yet to come across a genuine toyota part made in china.

I think the oil filter I had the other day (genuine) was made in Taiwan.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-of-...h=item3639f478d0:g:F7cAAOSwAldZ0jc0:rk:4:pf:0.... Could not fault the service from these Guys. Mine arrived 2 days before the Est delivery date.. Personally I wouldn't bother with re build kits, For the price of new callipers, Don't think its worth the agro.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-L...=item4d40fbbf0f:g:3wcAAOSwoudW5q-w:rk:15:pf:0

Thanks, you've just given me confidence in my decision.

Think ill be the guinea pig and see if they are any good.

Which likely came from the same factory in China as all the rest mentioned here , what's to fail on an identical copy ?

I stupidly bought a replacement "oe quality" radiator for my 80 a while ago. On delivery it was plain that I'd been robbed buying fake parts! MIC for sure.. 30mm radiator core versus 56mm MIJ Toyota!

If you buy cheap.... you get poor quality parts!

With brakes you cant afford to have poor quality components and the same with radiators too!:thumbup:

To be fair the place In China I mentioned is an assembly plant.. But I bet ya head office have got them to knock a few parts out.. You know, When no ones looking , like. Or when money's a bit tight... You have to watch em 'ya' know..... Crafty...
Like they do with designer wear handbags and clothes . They are commissioned to make somany and they end up doing a lot more and selling them on the black market .

From my experience it varies. Sometimes you truly pay for what you get. Sometimes paying less you get a good quality replacement at a fraction of the cost. Maybe it won’t last 20 years but only ten instead idk time will tell.

As an example when I bought a radiator for €140 and when asked my cousin at the garage who fits these what the quality was like prior .... he said medium quality should be ok for ten years. This was instead of €600 from Toyota!!

I like most weigh up the pros and cons and made a decision on that basis. In doing so learnt a lot and yet sometimes failed to make the right choice but that’s life.

It’s great having a forum to share and to ask so it helps us all out in the end.

Last edited:
With brakes you cant afford to have poor quality components and the same with radiators too!:thumbup:

It's a calculated gamble Iwan i bought a cheap new turbo after deliberating the mechanics of it and accepting if its not made right the it has to fail very quickly indeed , coupled with the fact that i could not , despite finding many references to the seller , find a single complaint on the internet was good enough for me .

With calipers its the same , they won't work if not made correctly and so somebody will go bankrupt in short order , hence the only questionable part is the metal used for casting , did anyone ever break the cast part on any caliper ?

Radiators on the other hand can be made by anyone so when replacing mine i bought cheaper from a reputable company that has a reputation to uphold here in the UK

In my mind the good stuff is knock-offs from big companies that supply main dealers with parts and the bad stuff comes from start up companies who simply don't have the wealth to make quality cost effective .

The trouble is we have absolutely no way of knowing where exactly a part originated from , even if we bought it from a main dealer .

I know good mechanics 10 yrs ago would refuse to fit cheap parts from china, Now they are admitting the quality control has improved so much that they are saying 'Its good as'.. I never fitted anything genuine Toyota to my old Collie.. I sold it with 280,000 on the clock and its still purring along.. Bless It

95 series calipers are the same so you might be able to get good genuine used ones a lot easier than off an 80 series. I have one fitted to mine.

95 series calipers are the same so you might be able to get good genuine used ones a lot easier than off an 80 series. I have one fitted to mine.

Thats what I did with the Black Collie when I got it, re furbed a pair of 80 rears which were a lot better than the 95 ones. never had a prob after that. Mind I did fit a pair of re con ones to the front.

Back