Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Experiments…Ukrainian style…Don't try this at home, seriously!

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
I've now watched a few of these videos. These guys are seriously nuts.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClUZos7yKYtrmr0-azaD8pw
The dismantled working microwave video just makes me shudder but I have a kind of Frankenstein curiosity whenever another video is offered to me.

This really is how the pioneers like Benjamin Franklin discovered things, with little regard for their own safety.
Oh, and listen out for the background noises especially in the microwave one! Bonkers!

I’m glad I don’t live next door to any of them... yep... bonkers!

I was like that. In the 50's you could still buy giant batteries for radios. They comprised about 70 cells wired in series. I raided the local radio shop dustbin and carried 3 of them one by one up to our house. I wired these in series and connected up a house bulb. I was very in awe when the bulb lit up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I used to take charged up capacitors to school and shock "friends".

Someone in America was killed by a microwave. It had gone wrong and he had taken the back off to investigate. It was turned off at the time but must have had a stored charge somewhere?

Microwaves have some chunky capacitors in them on the high voltage side. I think it's about 3000 volts or thereabouts. If the cap still had a charge in it it would have delivered a nasty belt. I had one from a faulty switch mode power supply that put a pair of burns into my hand at about 300v dc so a jolt across the body at 3000 would almost certainly send you to the next world. It only takes 40 thousandths of an amp, delivered across the chest to stop the heart!

I guess with what's going on in the background, what they're doing is child's play.

I don’t think recent events have been a pleasant experience...
In the video with the microwave in bits you can clearly hear shells going off in the background and they don't even flinch. :shock:

They’re still alive, quite miraculously I have to add…

Microwaves have some chunky capacitors in them on the high voltage side. I think it's about 3000 volts or thereabouts. If the cap still had a charge in it it would have delivered a nasty belt. I had one from a faulty switch mode power supply that put a pair of burns into my hand at about 300v dc so a jolt across the body at 3000 would almost certainly send you to the next world. It only takes 40 thousandths of an amp, delivered across the chest to stop the heart!

I guess with what's going on in the background, what they're doing is child's play.
It’s volts that jolts and mils that kills!! It’s surprising how many people, including medical types, think that a shock from a domestic supply is safe. Because I’m a medic and an electrician the physiological effects of electrocution are quite interesting to me, sad bastard that I am!!

I wouldn’t say I’m at all interested in the effects, apart from not being on the receiving end. The saying is ok until you realise that ohms law comes into effect and the higher the voltage across a given resistance the higher the current. It only take 40 thousandths of an amp to kill. Arc flash is the real nasty one. Don’t want either. I’ve come very close to the latter, far too close. I’m older and hopefully wiser now.

These guys are reinventing the wheel with some of their experiments and getting away with it but I do wonder what some of the longer term effects will be.

Because 12V is harmless, in the sense that you can touch both terminals at the same time and not get a shock, I never paid car batteries any respect, until one exploded in my face.

That’s when I realised that whatever the Volts, there’s some power in those things.

Because 12V is harmless, in the sense that you can touch both terminals at the same time and not get a shock, I never paid car batteries any respect, until one exploded in my face.

That’s when I realised that whatever the Volts, there’s some power in those things.
…and the hydrogen! ‘Burns with a squeaky pop’…bang in your case!

I wouldn’t say I’m at all interested in the effects, apart from not being on the receiving end. The saying is ok until you realise that ohms law comes into effect and the higher the voltage across a given resistance the higher the current. It only take 40 thousandths of an amp to kill. Arc flash is the real nasty one. Don’t want either. I’ve come very close to the latter, far too close. I’m older and hopefully wiser now.

These guys are reinventing the wheel with some of their experiments and getting away with it but I do wonder what some of the longer term effects will be.

i am familliar with ohms law:wink:. I used to work with dc voltages of around 600v, which can certainly give you a good arc! My comment above was just a tongue in cheek recounting of a saying often heard in the electrical world, because people think volts is the only thing that matter in an electric shock.. The lethality of a shock is a result of a combination of factors in reality, the current, the voltage and the duration (hence the requirement for disconnection times on protective devices) but also the physiology of the person concerned and that’s where people trying to do what these twats are doing will come badly unstuck. What is survivable for one person will be lethal for another. Also, you can survive a shock, but then die 24-48 hours later from the physiological effects. As you said, there is also the possibility of long term and cumulative effects to consider. The body is actually a pretty poor conductor so most people that survive a shock do so because they haven’t received it’s full magnitude.

Last edited:
I’m still trying to work out if these guys are fledgling geniuses or just plain crazy.
This one made me laugh. A bit of a nervous laugh though, it has to be said.

Back