Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Extreme weather cold mornings No Start..

MetalDonkey

Country Flag
uk
Hi All,
My Landcruiser whom I love has managed to empty my wallet at an alarming scale, and this week with the cold weather has rewarded me with not starting at all even with fully charged batteries , any Ideas on what to check. Fuel, Oil and filters have been changed , car was recently serviced.

Hi MD, what does it do? What fuel/engine?

Let the glow plugs and air heater do their things - turn key half way, wait till glow plug light goes off and relay for inlet heater clicks about 10 seconds later then start
Works on a 60 MD

Hi All, should have introduced my myself more formally , but with only 10 posts there is a reason ......I bought a Pup . A high mileage well knackered LC5 for a high price . I have been trying to fix it since then. I think I have found the fault though.... Fuel Pump not delivering enough diesel pressure due to the cold weather . Tried it this morning and it started after a while.. I guess I was unlucky with this toyota.

Hi MD, what does it do? What fuel/engine?
In the recent spell of cold weather when trying to start it , after the glow plugs symbol extinguishes the motor just turns and turns as if you are trying to start it with no fuel, sometimes it sounds as it is just about to start then quits.. I thinks its a weak fuel pump.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
He told you Rich, it empties his wallet :lol:

Sorry MD, not funny... welcome to the forum BTW... oh, maybe my mistake, you’ve been around a bit already with 10 posts...
Yep I have been around since last year but , not on the forum as I have been constantly fixing this LC5
The strange thing about love, is that you never see the pitfalls ....

Yep I have been around since last year but , not on the forum as I have been constantly fixing this LC5
The strange thing about love, is that you never see the pitfalls ....

To use your terms MD, I too bought a “pup” with my 80, but it was at a “pup” price.

It was sadly neglected, but at least the previous owner was openly honest about that. When you go in with your eyes open, the only way is up. But when you’re led to believe its in good shape, it must be very disappointing.

The love bit is something else. I love my truck and its been a bit like taking in a bedraggled stray animal, nurturing it and it pays back with rewards.

Over the 11 years of ownership, I’ve now got it into reasonable condition, there’s still stuff to do and always will be, but step-by-step we’ve got there, and its a beast!

Hang in there, but don't do it begrudgingly. Best to sell it and move on if that’s the mindset that develops. If you do “love” it then press on and get it ship-shape.

I don’t know the 100 so can’t comment on a weak fuel pump, on the 80 there’s a gauze strainer on the end of the scavenger tube in the tank, and that can fur up with dirt and slime which might cause your symptoms. It’s a simple fix on the 80, removing the “sender unit” from the top of the tank, giving you easy access to the fuel gauge sender and the strainer.

Best of luck and keep posting your problems, there’s usually someone to help.

If you put all your truck details into a “signature”, then everyone will know what truck you have, year, mileage, model, engine type etc, it makes it easier to comment.

Go to your profile (by clicking on your name in the top right of the screen) and create a suitable signature, it shows on every post then, and helps a lot.

I am not familiar with your car, but if its a diesel usually the IP delivers more pressure cold than hot, when they are hard to start when at operating temp its a sign the IP is getting due for a rebuild. How are the rubber fuel hoses? with the cold weather it may be sucking air at a connection? you can get a spray called Aerostart that you spray into the air cleaner to help them fire up. Did your mechanic check that the glow plugs were actually working?

Do you know if the injectors been changed ? Does it "rattle" a lot when it does eventually start from cold ? As Shayne said, the scv can cause running problems if faulty. Have you run Techstream (cheap on ebay) on it ?

MD you’re probably beginning to think the same thing as what I’m about to say which is that buying a ‘pup’ is the very reason you should be on here more. We can all make mistakes but a problem shared really is a problem halved. So let’s see more of you so we can help where we can.

On any troubleshooting, start with the easy things first. Check fuel and check heater plugs. Yours sounds like fuel but it’s worth checking each heater plug draws a current in isolation from the others.

One useful procedure on any diesel is to eliminate everything from the tank to the injection pump. The simple way is to get a length of fuel hose and run it from a can of diesel. The ideal would be to have a hose with one of the squeezy bulb type fuel pumps used for boat outboard motors in line and connect the delivery end direct to the input of the injection pump and pump it until the air is gone. If all is well your problem is between the input to your IP and the tank. If you still have the problem, the problem is with the IP or injectors or both. Suction Control valves are a known problem after a while so it may be a quick fix to change them. Beyond that it is going to need the injectors to be looked at tested and reconditioned.

There’s various threads on the SCVs so might be worth a search on here.

Do you know if the injectors been changed ? Does it "rattle" a lot when it does eventually start from cold ? As Shayne said, the scv can cause running problems if faulty. Have you run Techstream (cheap on ebay) on it ?
Hi Flint , My LC5 rattles like a singer sowing machine when cold in the mornings, I do think I need a set of injectors, had the seals changed as one cylinder was leaking .

Could also be something simple like air in the fuel line, or fuel draining back to the tank. Simple, cheap stuff like these are always worth starting with first.

Is it just the initial first time start in the morning it struggles with or every start, even when warm?

Back