Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Eyesight requirements!

frank rabbets

Guru
Just been for an eyesight test at Boots. 2 years ago I was warned that 1 eye would fail the driving requirements but today I was told that both eyes would fail. I asked if this test was similar to the "number plate test" and was told "yes, based on the same parameters". I was warned not to drive until I had the correct driving glasses so ordered them. On googling the number plate test requirements it says you must be able to read a number plate at a distance of 20.5 metres. On testing myself I can read a number plate at 41 metres (double). Do I need the glasses?

Well reading it at 41 meters is excellent Frank, but if it's blurred at 20.5 then yes. I can see the sun and that's 93 million miles away, but I can't cut my own nails without glasses.

I don't trust a system that lets those who profit from selling glasses decide who needs them Frank so while the long sighted / short sighted argument makes perfect sense personally i'd seek 3 tests from different places .

I lost this argument with the mrs who kinda liked the idea of wearing glasses and years later a new technician was honest enough to tell her she had been given glasses far too soon and her eyesight was weaker because of it .

Ahh you're good then Frank. Carry on.

If you do decide on new glasses, the last time that my eyesight had changed, I got the prescription from the optician (they have to give it to you) and sent my perfectly good frames off to be re lensed. Pretty good turnaround time and happy with the result, saved quite a few bob too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My own optician has done that before Flint, without going anywhere else, as you say, much cheaper.
What I have always wondered is how those cheapo specs places on the tv work.
You choose your frame and send your prescription, then receive your new specs, ok so far.
What happens when the frames need a tweak.? Most times I had new they maybe don't fit quite right or square on my face, or W.H.Y and off he goes out the back, comes back and tries again, maybe 123 times to get them quite right and comfortable. What happens in that case with the cheapo mailed ones. Youre f'kd.

Good point Chris but not blurred at 20.5 metres.

So the basic problem is that the boots test is just rubbish?

Sounds like they're misreading it somehow, or misinterpreting the requirements for driving.

Highway code says you must be able to read a number plate in good daylight at 20m.

So if you can do that, and they are testing the same eyes, their test must be b******s.

My ex misses used to work for boots doing eyesight tests so know what they do for them it did not matter if they got your prescription wrong they would just order you new pairs of glasses until it was correct customer satisfaction was not just bums on seats so I always went to the local independent optical shop and still do

And just becareful as if the Optitions have said you need glasses to drive, they will have informed DVLA so if there is a incident
and you have not got your glasses on you could get fined etc

But what happens if he IS wearing the supplied glasses that are not to his requirements, and I'm not talking massive, obvious discrepancies.

And just becareful as if the Optitions have said you need glasses to drive, they will have informed DVLA so if there is a incident
and you have not got your glasses on you could get fined etc

Opticians do not inform DVLA. That is the responsibility of the individual was tested.

I think you find they do, i did not tell the dvla but i have a code on the licence

The official take on this on Gov. website is as long as you satisfy the conditions of being able to read a number plate at the required distance, without, or with glasses if so prescribed.
It appears that as long as you don't have an eye condition, ignoring long and short sight or colour blindness, you do not have to notify DVLA. You only have to notify if you have another eye condition not mentioned there. If you have one eye, as long as there is no other eye condition there you are ok.
I have never notified DVLA, and have not got a code on my license, so no one else has either.
I held hgv1 for many years, with medicals, and wearing glasses and notifying both authorities was never an issue.

I have glaucoma in my left eye so have an annual eye test to monitor it, that in turn caused a cataract to develop. I was also driving long distances and started to suffer from eye strain so my optician prescribed driving glasses which were brilliant. Once I had the cataract removed he changed the lenses so I could use them as reading glasses. Tractionman is right , I only have code 115 on my licence (organ donor)
Do yourself a favour Frank, forget the chain opticians, find a good independent that preferably comes well recommended, it’s not just about the required driving standard it’s about having a proper regular health check on your eyes! My eyesight is perfectly ok but only because my optician picked up the glaucoma early!

I've just been to the Optician for my annual eye test.
The Optician puts a contraption on my face ,and said " what can you see? "
"I see empty Airports and empty Football grounds"
I said " I see closed theatres , closed pubs, closed Restaurants "
That's perfect says the Optician, you've got 2020 vision!

But never a truer word spoken in jest Don't listen to the nasty man Chas

Back