Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Familiar heavy haul tractor…

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Some interesting loads and a novel way to keep weight down with the Space shuttle.

I use to work on Liebherr T282 Haul Trucks, I’m still working for them but back to excavators.

They’re electric transmission aren’t they Charlie?

About 2000 hp if I remember correctly?
I’m surprised they are AC but so much now is AC with electronic Controls becoming more widespread. No brushes to wear out. Controllable torque curves and probably far simpler control without series parallel, field weakening and so forth. Just a VSD and a dedicated computer/PLC I would imagine.

0A82B312-E592-4AD6-99A1-47F363588AD2.jpeg Older truck used DC drive, but AC requires much less maintenance.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IGBTs have virtually taken over the small VSD market. I had no idea they would go up to this sort of size though. It doesn’t seem that long ago the drives were all thyristors but then it was the early 90s I was building Controls with them :whistle: Things have moved on dramatically. Trains are now mostly AC. Even those with DC supplies. Conversely, long range power grid transmission lines are now using HVDC.

I appear to have jacked my own thread. :lol:

My reference was The Toyota Tacoma they used to haul the Space Shuttle across the bridge in order to keep the weight down. I felt strangely quite proud of it. :lol:

Back