Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fiery's new boots 255/85/16 BF Goodrich MT-KM2's

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Finally bit the bullet & called my local tyre fitters to order five 255/85/16 BF Goodrich MT-KM2's for Fiery now she has her new Ironman suspension lift fitted :)

Right up until I walked through the door to their reception area this morning I was still very much in two minds about them & could have easily said 'f... it get me some 285 Cooper STT's in would you' :!: :) Then when I walked through the door there they were in a big pile in the middle of their now quite busy reception area proudly on display to all :shock: :!:

PA240709.jpg

I felt physically :sick: :sick:

They did look really skinny & the tread depth didn't look great either :sick: :sick: :sick: :? Or was I just being cynical as deep down I'm really feeling disloyal to my Cooper past :? :( With that came a quizzical voice from behind the counter 'What do you reckon then? Look good don't they :D Give us your keys & we'll get started fitting 'em?' :shock: :? :| :sick: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :? 'OK' I said! 'Here's the keys' I added :shock: :shock: :|

And so on they went :)

PA240710.jpg

@ this point I started to warm towards them :) ;)
PA240711.jpg

PA240712.jpg

PA240713.jpg

PA240714.jpg

PA240715.jpg

All done so up onto the laser alignment gizmo :)
PA240716.jpg

PA240717.jpg

Mmmm....not so good :!: :think: I hope all of those caster & camber bolts a free from rust :pray:
PA240717a.jpg

PA240718.jpg

PA240719.jpg

Superb :clap: Almost perfect :dance:
PA240719a.jpg

Jobs a good'un :thumbup:
PA240720.jpg

PA240721.jpg

PA240722.jpg

PA240723.jpg

Here we are all back home & very, very happy :D :D Thanks for all the support & advice guys :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
PA240725.jpg

PA240726.jpg

PA240727.jpg

PA240728.jpg

PA240729.jpg

PA240730.jpg

Ah :!: That's the only problem :whistle: Spare doesn’t fit :roll: Bracket needs to go up @least an inch :| :) Spares just balanced for the piccy :)
PA240732.jpg

PA240733.jpg

PA240734.jpg

So to sum up :) I like them :D They look great :thumbup: Fit well & although there is a little more road noise compared to the Avon A/T's that came off this is nothing compared to the induction noise that I get from my snorkel :lol: :lol:

What have I gained :?: Well ground clearence & traction hopefully :D

The minimum ground clearence Fiery had before the Ironman suspension lift & the tyres was 240mm both front & rear. She now she has 270mm @ the rear (bottom of diff to ground) but @ the front she has gained 75mm to 315mm below the lowest point of the OE skid plate (maybe there is a plus side to IFS after all :D ).

Thought I'd post this table of common fitment LC tyre sizes that I did some time back @ the bottom here :D

sae70 said:
265/70/16 30.61/10.43/16 standard fitment

265/75/16 31.65/10.43/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 26.42mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +13.21mm (+13.21mm)

305/70/16 32.81/12.00/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 55.88mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +27.94mm (+14.73mm)

285/75/16 32.83/11.22/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 56.39mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +28.19mm (+00.25mm)

255/85/16 33.07/10.04/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 62.48mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +31.24mm (+03.05mm)

This of course make no allowance for how these tyre sizes are effected by rim width & inflation pressure :D

This just leaves me to say :happy-wavemulticolor: :obscene-smokingjoint: :dance: :D :D :D

Looking Good... :thumbup:

White out is the goodness, very :cool:

When you going to test them out properly?

sae70 said:
They did look really skinny & the tread depth didn't look great either :sick: :sick: :sick: :?
Out of interest, what is the tread depth? I've just put two new Cooper STT's on the front of my 80 and the tread depth of them is 10mm.

Cossack said:
Out of interest, what is the tread depth?
I've no idea exactly but I will measure it for you tomorrow afternoon :D

Cossack said:
I've just put two new Cooper STT's on the front of my 80 and the tread depth of them is 10mm
That seems low :think: I'm sure that my original Cooper STT's had 18mm of tread when I bought them from new :? There's something odd going on there unless they've had to change then for this new 'S' rateing thing :?: :!:

sae70 said:
Cossack said:
Cossack said:
I've just put two new Cooper STT's on the front of my 80 and the tread depth of them is 10mm
That seems low :think: I'm sure that my original Cooper STT's had 18mm of tread when I bought them from new :? There's something odd going on there unless they've had to change then for this new 'S' rateing thing :?: :!:
I've just been out into the cold and measured again, they've suddenly got deeper :thumbup: it's now 15mm, I obviously mis-measured before :doh: .

look good Steven, ;)

regarding your spare tyre issue, im not sure if the spare wheel mounts are very differnet on the 90's but.........................

on the LJ70, its possible to turn the mount 180 degress, and this lifts the wheel up about 2-2.5"s. :thumbup:

i had to do this on mine and it worked well. :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
sae70 said:
Cossack said:
Cossack said:
I've just been out into the cold and measured again, they've suddenly got deeper :thumbup: it's now 15mm, I obviously mis-measured before :doh: .
:lol: :lol: :lol: ;) :)

I've just measured the tread depth on Fiery's KM2's & taken @ the centre of the tyre it's also 15mm :D Well just about as I used a set of vernier calipers & more accuratly they said 14.7mm ish without my glasses :roll: :lol:

That has to be the record for the most amount of pics posted for a new tyre fitment ;)

Paul said:
That has to be the record for the most amount of pics posted for a new tyre fitment ;)
Oh :oops: Well here's some more just for fun :p :D

Chris said:
Ahhh. Now we're getting somewhere. That is going to have so much grip. You'll have to have a head to head with Lil Blue. Can you get some picks in the arch with the wheel turned. I'd like to see the diagonal across the corners of the tyres in relation to the pinch seam on the arch / firewall. Always thought that the thinner, taller tyre shouldn't catch.

Chris
As requested :D

The gap that you are talking about measures approximately 25mm @ its worst :D So mud flaps back on then :D

Off-Side front tyre

PA250735.jpg

PA250736.jpg

PA250737.jpg

PA250738.jpg

PA250739.jpg

Near-Side front tyre

PA250740.jpg

PA250741.jpg

PA250742.jpg

PA250743.jpg

they look good and loads of clearance around the arch/mudflap area.

when you fit the spare wheel watch that it also clears the rear light when opening the door up fully or your be ordering a new lens.

Joe

I knew it!! Hah. Excellent stuff. With a body lift too, you'd get even more.

Chris

Some photos of the beasts foot prints :D

PB040758.jpg

PB040757.jpg

PB040755.jpg

PB040756.jpg

That's seven inches just in case you can't see the numbers on the tape :)

Steven, how did you go on with the rear wheel mount, did you spin 180 deg as suggested or have you had to knock something up to clear the light panel ?

BIG clean GREEN said:
Steven, how did you go on with the rear wheel mount, did you spin 180 deg as suggested or have you had to knock something up to clear the light panel ?
To be fair I found that you could mount the spare with the 255/85/16 tyre fitted & still open & close the rear door without any trouble with no modification to the bracket :o Although the tyre touched & pushed the rear light slightly & ever so slightly rubbed the top of the rear bumper it was never a problem & it was only sometime later that I moded the bracket by welding some 30x10 flat bar straight across the top & bottom of the bracket & then redrilling the hole in the centered in the bottom right hand corner of the old holes. I'll take some pics for you :thumbup:

To be fair I found that you could mount the spare with the 255/85/16 tyre fitted & still open & close the rear door without any trouble with no modification to the bracket :o Although the tyre touched & pushed the rear light slightly & ever so slightly rubbed the top of the rear bumper it was never a problem & it was only sometime later that I moded the bracket by welding some 30x10 flat bar straight across the top & bottom of the bracket & then redrilling the hole in the centered in the bottom right hand corner of the old holes. I'll take some pics for you :thumbup:
Better late than never :shifty: :whistle:

P3160258.jpg

P3160259.jpg

P3160261.jpg

P3160262.jpg

P3160263.jpg

P3160264.jpg

Never had any issues with rubbing and had to do no trimming or bashing of the inner wing, even had the front mudflaps fitted :)

Only in extreme circumstances at the rear, but just lived with it :)

IMG_4339_zps8be667db.jpg

IMG_4314_zpsa1b41763.jpg

Last edited:
Back