Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Finally fixed my handbrake

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
With the mot fast approaching, I had to do something with my non existent handbrake.

I replaced the cable a few weeks ago to no avail, then read somewhere you could weld 5mm to the dogbone in the mechanism to space the shoes out more.

Did just that, abit of fettling with the cable, return springs and adjuster inside the disc, and I have a handbrake!

Something to note, the external return springs on the crank arm thing can rust away and fall apart, giving you a loose lever.

If you cant find any for sale you can mod / shorten the one that is inside the mechanism at the top http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota...s-0/hdj80-brake-shoe-spring-upper-shoe-return

Could have done with that thread when I did them, I'll do it tomorrow when I clean up the abs sensors and rings (light comes on and off)

There is another chunk of thread somewhere else about fixing this when all the previous steps simply don't work. My neighbour did everything right and still had no handbrake whatsoever. We tracked it down to the cut out in the shoes themselves simply being too deep. Not that the dog bone spreader had worn, just that the replacement shoes were not to OEM spec. We welded a bit in the dog bone and blimey, Screeeeech! You could lock the back wheels with the handbrake. We basically took all the mechanism and rebuilt it INSIDE the drum to see what the blinking flip was going on. We found that no matter how you tensioned it up, the shoes were NEVER going to reach the drum when you pulled on the lever.

Oh right. The shoes look fine, hardly been used. Won't go messing with what's ok. The dog bone had a very slight indentation where it touches the shoe but wouldn't say it was effecting it. Mine doesn't lock the wheels, will have round two today.

Back