Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Finding a tube for a 285/75/16??

Dave_S

Jan's picked up a screw in one of her tyres - its on the flat of the tyre tread, but because she's running MTs its into the gap between the final set of lugs, so the local tyre guy says he can't repair it... however he is happy to refit it with an inner tube, if we source one.

Looking on the usual sites I can't source a size specific tube - they do them in the US no problem, but in the UK they seem rare. Some of the Landy boys run 900/16 tubes in 285/75/16s without problems apparently, but I've never tried this personally.

Any thoughts? Plan is to use this one as a spare in any case, but I would like to "save" it if I can....

Got a pic of the hole? A good shop should be able to plug it and vulcanize the inside with a patch no problem, once it's in the middle. You could also use tire plugs from the outside, not as good in my opinion but they can last the lifetime of the tire once they seal well.

Cheers guys. The local tyre bloke considers it to be "on the shoulder" which is why he wouldn't repair it. I'm half tempted to try one of the tyre places in Douglas (20 miles down the road, so not a big issue). I have a set of plugs as an emergency fix, but never tried them as a long term fix.

Here you go - let me know what you think. Worst case, I reckon inner tube it and throw it on the spare?

IMG_2462.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think you'll be alright with a plug/patch there, especially with the plans of running it as a spare.

Plug it and stick any old tube in it for peace of mind against a very unlikely blow out .

Back