Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

finding the serial number

Iain

Hi all, somewhat new here (lurker of many years standing), I would now like to ask for some help. I'm intending to register my 80 series in France and they want a photo of the serial number engraved on the chassis. I've had a poke around (both online and in the flesh, as it were) and I can't find anything. Any suggestions anyone? I'm not even sure what I'm looking for - do they mean the VIN?

I also need to find the type of engine stamped on the engine. This is apparently not a serial number but just the type, presumably I could also find this without looking at the engine... no? Would it be "1HD-FT", or do I have to crawl around inside the engine compartment looking for something more precise?

Iain.

The VIN plate is on the Bulk head on the right hand side (lift bonnet up) and the serial /VIN is also stamped on the Chassis at the back of the drivers side front wheel...Thats on a early 1990 80... Later ones might be different. . Im assuming its right hand drive....

Yes, rhd. Back of the drivers side front wheel. Thank you, I'll run down and have a look when the rain stops.

Yes, 1HD-FT is the engine specification. Black and silver sticker on the engine itself.

Welcome to the forum now you've finished lurking.

I'm sure that'll do - they say stamped on ("frappé sur") the engine, but they don't mean the engine number - their example is "3S-GTE", which is an Avensis engine. I won't tell them it was just a sticker. It's hard enough as it is.

they say stamped on ("frappé sur") the engine

In that case they may mean the engine number? (each engine has its own unique number) Not sure about the 80 but on a 105 its on the passenger side of the engine block about half way down towards the back of the block. Its probably going to be covered in crap so you may need to get your head in there and scrub around with a cloth until you uncover it.

I can take a photo of where it is on mine, but might be worth someone with an 80 confirming location.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think they just mean the type of engine. As I say, their example is "3S-GTE", which is certainly not an engine number. Maybe later (or earlier?) models indeed had the type stamped on the engine. But mine just has the sticker.

Back