Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fire in the Engine Bay

Bert

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello all.

I was wondering if anybody has ever had a fire in the engine bay of their vehicle?
Like a lot of folk, I carry a fire extinguisher on board my vehicle which I hope never to use. What I've been thinking is this. IF I was unlucky enough to ever have an engine bay fire, how the hell would I bring the extinguisher to bare? I suppose it wouldn't be too bad if one got to it early enough, but what if was established enough so as to prevent one from being able to lift the bonnet without serious risk of injury?

Then I got to thinking has anybody ever installed (if they can find the space) the type of automatic extinguishers that can be installed in the engine rooms of small ocean going pleasure craft?

Is it that I'm too bored thinking these things up?

fire.jpg

The best way to use an extinguisher on an under bonnet fire is to pull the bonnet pull but don't open the bonnet, just fire the extinguisher through the bonnet gap, if you're motors diesel its not that bad, if it's petrol it goes up real quick.

My boat has capped pipes outside the bays so you don't have to lift the hatches , just jam the extinguisher nozzle on the pipe to suffocate the fire . The intake vents also have doors so they can be closed quickly .

They do them but it might be cheaper to have a fire.

They are very helpful. If you ask for technical fire risk dept and explain what you want they will defo send you a good quality kit.

If you have a diesel there is a little solenoid under the drivers side battery tray with 2 heavy wires controlling the inlet heater. These can catch fire and there was a recall.

If you're really worried you could fit a dual battery master switch in the drivers seat area. Fire extinguishers put out fire but don't stop further damage if it's an electrical fire. This type gets worse and worse as more and more cables lose their insulation.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Powder extinguishers should be inverted every month or so to keep the powder from clumping. Most people don't and when you come to use them for real they can clog and fail. I never knew that until my extinguishers in the workshop were inspected.

I think an onboard extinguisher system is a bit over the top for a road car but I guess it all depends what value you put on your LC? I carry a decent sized Halon extinguisher which I could deploy in a few seconds and will put out most fires. If the fire's sointense that you can't even pop the bonnet to the first catch I reckon it's too late. With a Halon and maybe a CO2 you may have a chance through the rad but foam or powder probably wouldn't get through in enough quantity. JMO
The battery cut off switch idea is a good one and relatively inexpensive to fit.
The dodgy relay under the RHS battery box, mentioned by Frank in on the 1HD-FT engined 80's only.

They do them but it might be cheaper to have a fire.

They are very helpful. If you ask for technical fire risk dept and explain what you want they will defo send you a good quality kit.

If you have a diesel there is a little solenoid under the drivers side battery tray with 2 heavy wires controlling the inlet heater. These can catch fire and there was a recall.

If you're really worried you could fit a dual battery master switch in the drivers seat area. Fire extinguishers put out fire but don't stop further damage if it's an electrical fire. This type gets worse and worse as more and more cables lose their insulation.

Brilliant opening line there Frank :lol: nail and head come to mind :clap::clap:

The posted photo is good insurance salesman fodder, and it would be nice to think that an auto system would kick-in in the rare event of a fire, but let's face it, the chances of an engine bay fire, although not nil, are very very low.

The fire I had in my 80 started from an electrical fault, and was in the rear quarter, in the loom adjacent to one of the rear light clusters.

Imagine spending £1,000 on a state-of-the-art fully failsafe engine bay auto extinguishing system, only to have the back-end catch fire.

Nice to have but not essential.

You'd be better off buying better and larger carry-on extinguishers, IMO. These tidgy little fart-powder units are not worth truck space, IMO, I carry 3 of them, but I'm always looking at a way to get a bigger unit or two on board, without losing too much space.

I've thought about a quick release type rack under the rear, operated from a device on the back bumper, but I've never got around to penning a design.

They say 'Automatic' How are they activated, is it by heat or what?

They have a plastic part that melts and then sets them off. it's a low melt8ng point plastic.

As a 20 yr fireman I'd say you're going to struggle with a hand held extinguisher with anything substantial!

Stop quickly, turn off the ignition, and give it your best go with whatever you carry. I'd be looking to disconnect the battery asap, and call 999. Maybe consider fitting a master cut off?

Make sure it's recorded as a fire. The fire service are desperate to drive down calls, so may try and classify it as overheating etc. Not many firefighters have a clue about mechanics. Small fires can write a car off: even a melted loom! I'd want my car classified as an electrical fire not overheated wiring.

I reckon a 20yr old diesel LC will stand far more chance of surviving an under bonnet fire and being salvagable than a new vehicle crammed full of drive-by-wire electronics, hands free parking control, on board WiFi, etc..etc. You certainly wouldn't want a battery fire in a Hybrid that's for sure.

I had one.
My own fault.
Replaced the starter solenoid contacts then put the three screws back in the cover without loctite. They fell out and let the plunger short out and set the solenoid on fire. Only small but the extinguisher (AFFF) did little until I had disconnected the batteries.…which I think I managed including getting a spanner out the back, in about 40 seconds flat. We are talking little more than a garden candle flame here but nothing really caught except the loom above which was easily repairable. I intended fitting battery isolators but haven't got round to it in the 12 years since. :whistle: It does focus the mind somewhat!

I now carry a standard size CO2 extinguisher and reckon I could deal with most early fires that could occur.

I would say you would have to be very unlucky to have a fire. I'm more concerned with what to do and how quickly I would be able to do it if the turbo went and caused a runaway. I've even thought to do a trial run.

Last edited:
It's surprising how fast you can do things when your cruiser's on fire!!

My second battery cover is still broken from me ripping it out the way.

Turbo runaway could be stopped by just putting in 5th and dropping the clutch quickish so it doesn't damage the clutch.

Turbo runaway could be stopped by just putting in 5th and dropping the clutch quickish so it doesn't damage the clutch.

That could be risky.
I reckon that's another advantage of carrying a CO2 extinguisher as you could discharge it into the air intake and kill the engine without seriously damaging it or clogging it up with foam of dry powder.

Last edited:
Back