Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fire in the Engine Bay

I'm not very familiar with turbo diesels, so forgive my ignorance, but don't they normally have a butterfly, and a usual mod is to remove it?

You probably read that on here as we with the 90 series remove the butterfly after deleting the egr as Towpack says .

Heres one you all can take the piss out of me with....
When I was young and knew very little about how things work
My old landrover started to run away before when it ran out of fuel.

So I had the idea to block the air intake. but I didn't use a jumper as suggested as above.

I decided to use the palm of my hand.

Now this was one of the worst ideas I have ever had. my hand was being sacked into the air filter with such force I didn't know how I was going to get out of the predicament.

Lucky for at some point when my hand was getting sacked in the skin creased a little and broke the seal.

I have no idea what would have happened if that didn't break the seal.

A couple of weeks after I had the worked love bite looking circle on the palm of my hand you have ever seen.

Ha Ha TP , not for the fashion conscious.

Stu I did a similar thing and nearly turned the palm of my hand inside out. I had taken off the cylinder head off my 1936 side valve Norton. I pushed the palm of my hand on top of the barrel with piston at top then my friend kicked the engine over to see how strong the vacuum was. Well for a start it's instant. It doesn't matter how far the piston has gone down. That's all to do with atmospheric pressure at about 14.5 PSI. The moment I could not feel the piston anymore there was a weight of 150 lbs on my hand !!

With the air intake at least you have a chance to panic and pull your hand away before all the air is sucked out of the inlet system but I would imagine it's pretty instant.

I did a silly but reverse thing with the hoover. I plunged the tube into the toilet to see if it would suck the water out. Well it did quicker than I could pull the pipe out. Thinking about how efficient modern Hoovers are and the surface area of the water that must have been about 300 lbs instantly forcing up the Hoover pipe. Fortunately didn't damage the hoover but took a lot of drying out.

You probably read that on here as we with the 90 series remove the butterfly after deleting the egr as Towpack says .

Aha, so I'm not going completely :crazy: do-lally ..... :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think a lot of us probably do stupid things now and then and you do feel like a Wally but we learn by our mistakes.It is called the university of hard knocks.

I'm not very familiar with turbo diesels, so forgive my ignorance, but don't they normally have a butterfly, and a usual mod is to remove it?
Clive you're right, some modern diesels do have inlet flaps, have a look at the disadvantages section here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swirl_flap

I know this thread has strayed off topic, but it's all interesting stuff. I too have had an engine run away on its own oil, it was in third gear at the time and started accelerating harder than it had ever done before. Fortunately being a manual I managed to select 5th, drop the clutch and stand on the brakes. The engine stalled and was saved. The cause was a failed diaphragm in the crankcase breather and excess crankcase pressure due to a failed head gasket.

As my preference is for automatics I have though about this, in the event of a runaway I may attempt to block the inlet, BUT in my experience the engine runs away so fast self preservation may kick in; the engine can be replaced, humans.....more difficult.

Back