First 4x4 EVER!......aand rust :'(

BigV

Country Flag
australia
Your name: Viddy
Area : Western Sydney
Your Cruiser: '03 lx470 213kms
Mods on your Cruiser: bone stock
Plans for your Cruiser: either duramax or 1vd swapped all purpose comfort mobile.
4x4 Experience: precisely SFA.

So after 4 years of driving a supra and a lexus ls400 i recently pulled the trigger on a lx470 4 days ago. Fast forward to today i found out that there is some major rust areas in the rear areas of the vehicle. Keeping in mind i only paid 8 grand did i just ruin my introduction into the world of Landcruisers? Any input is greatly appreciated :) (be as honest as possible i want to know genuine opinions).

20190920_143840.jpg 20190920_143834.jpg 20190920_143827.jpg

Welcome Viddy,

Congratulations on your purchase.
Looks to me like the hole in the body has been letting water in and giving surface rust under the carpet. Fix the hole properly and treat the surface rust and all should be well in that area. Refit the bung and that should complete the picture. Make sure all rust is removed though. Proper body works for the hole to cut out, weld and spray and then you could do the surface with a wire wheel in a drill and spray.

All these trucks need a little fettling to get over what the last owner neglected. Give it a good look underneath. If it’s good there then you’ve not got much to worry about.

Best wishes
Rich

Welcome Viddy,

Congratulations on your purchase.
Looks to me like the hole in the body has been letting water in and giving surface rust under the carpet. Fix the hole properly and treat the surface rust and all should be well in that area. Refit the bung and that should complete the picture. Make sure all rust is removed though. Proper body works for the hole to cut out, weld and spray and then you could do the surface with a wire wheel in a drill and spray.

All these trucks need a little fettling to get over what the last owner neglected. Give it a good look underneath. If it’s good there then you’ve not got much to worry about.

Best wishes
Rich

Thank you for taking the time to reply :). Me and the old man spent the entire day wire wheeling and cleaning the rust out. Thank God it was all surface rust. Underneath looked relatively healthy but i will remove the spare for a full rust prevention spray soon. All things considered I think I really like the idea of a Landcruiser so far!

Regards.

Welcome. Doesn't look too bad to me, to be honest - hope you don't find any other nasty surprises!

Could be a lot worse, and if the minimal rust most of us have on our circa 24 year old trucks is anything to go by, there’s a lot of life left in yours if you give it some protection to stall it a bit.

Welcome to the forum Viddy, BTW :thumbup:

Back