Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

First ride in an FJ Cruiser

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well as per the title, today I had a ride in an FJ. I have to say it didn't disappoint. What a great thing to be in. It's like being in a fighter jet.

Really comfy, loads of room and more buttons than you could press in a lifetime.

What a fantastic vehicle. If I could get one in RHD with the V8 from the 79... Aaahh. They only come in petrol of course, but it's great dreaming material.

Did you drive it Cris, or were you a passenger?

There’s a yellow one lives not far from me and he always drives it like he’s nicked it... and it’s impressive
:auto-layrubber:

Passenger Clive. It's a very very different experience. A bit like being in a Hummer. Very modern, very high up, not at all Cruisery really. It doesn't have the feeling you'd get when swapping from a 60 to a 70 to an 80 etc. It's a complete left turn.

Needless to say, I want one.

A mate of mine had one in SA.
I got to drive it on a 1600 mile trip.
Nice to live with, if you can afford the petrol....
Don't really like the suicide doors.
Groenkloof 2013-03-24 (130).jpg

Well, that’s interesting as I have been contemplating one as a retirement present next year. Post 2011 models are the ones to go for ideally. My preference would be for the manual box version with permanent 4wd and centre Torsen diff (much like the VC in later 80 series Xfer boxes) but they are rare and Im not sure if they’re even available in RHD. A good late one (auto) can be had for £25-£30k. Always quite a few on EBay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=fj+cruiser&_sacat=0&_sop=3

I’ve yet to see one in the metal and may not fancy one quite so much when I’ve driven one but the main thing holding back a decision is all this climate change/emissions crap and potential forthcoming anti diesel/petrol legislation.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There is a company in the USA that does a conversion, not sure about the cost.

$15,000 for the engine
£15,000 for the conversion.

That buys an awful lot of petrol......
.....Quick sum, 16mpg@£6/gal = 71000+miles.

Last edited:
That's not a FJ, that's a collie with a retro body on it..........

It's bloody ugly in pics Towpack so if it floats your boat now your gonna love it when you set eyes on the real thing .

It was never a contender for me until i seen one on the street .

Towpack I think all the manual’s are LHD. USA and Middle East markets offered both AT and MT. Australia got AT only and I think RSA did too but not sure. Japan models were special order only and as with most Jap market cars they often are missing DL’s etc.

MPG...stock I was getting near 25mpg when it was new. Now with lots of gear, lift etc etc I get around 22mpg mostly back lanes. I only got 28 out of my KZJ70 and that dropped to 15 at 70mpg!

0-60 in 7.5 seconds is fun though whatever the return on MPG at that moment! You don’t own an FJ for MPG! That’s why Toyota make Yaris and Prius... it’s smiles per gallon here.

Back