Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitting factory lockers - missing wiring?

RadioBaobab

Country Flag
belgium
I'm stuck!

I am trying to fit factory lockers onto my 2001 HZJ79 (Left hand drive) Chassis nr: JTELB71J407012145. It comes in a nice kit will the needed (original) parts. The lockers are in place (some cutting to be done in the axle housing) and I am now trying to hook up the electrics. In ALL HZJ79's I know, the original wiring loom has the connecters available for the factory lockers... except mine it seems. At the rear the cabling is there. At front it isn't. What I cannot locate:

- Connector near the alternator that goes to the front locker. Supposed to be a 6 fold plug.
- Connecter under the steering wheel that goes to the switch for (dis)engange the lockers (white plug, 3 connectors I think)
- Big connector that goes to the the 4x4 ECU

I am bout to dismantle my entire dashbaord and battery box so I can follow the cableloom that comes from behind and see if I can locate it, but I was hoping for some forum wisdom.

Am I right in thinking ALL HZJ79 as of 1999 have the same wiring loom - with connectors for the lockers?
Is there a wiring loom that has the cabling for the rear locker, but not for the front?
Are there variations in the wiring loom that have the connectors in a different place?
If for any reason I do not have the necessary wiring in my wiring loom- does anybody have a clue on how to get the factory lockers working anyway?

I did find a "mystery" connector in front of the the air filter - I have no idea what its purpose is (cannot find it on the original wiring diagrams). could this be part of the locker loom?

Location of the mystery connector:

2015-07-11 12.36.48.jpeg

Detail of the connector:

2015-07-11 12.37.00.jpeg

Last edited:
Some more pictures to illustrate my problem.
This the area around my alternator. Other vehicles (same year) have a plug here... I haven't.

2015-07-11 12.37.08.jpeg

The lose cable in picture above is for the aircon compressor (not fitted on mine)

This is the cable that comes out of my locker - and was hoping to wire up near the alternator:

2015-07-11 12.37.28.jpeg

Detail:

2015-07-11 12.37.33.jpeg

Last edited:
This is my dashboard area. In other cars there is a white connector underneath the steering to hook up the original locker switch

2015-07-11 12.35.58.jpeg

2015-07-11 12.36.13.jpeg

And this the wonderfully new locker in the rear. The wiring for this locker IS present2015-07-11 12.37.48.jpeg

This is not a popular model and was never sold in the UK. My best suggestion would be to look on the south African or Australian forums and I am sure you will find your answer.
Good luck
Stu

Thanks for the reply Stumog. I know its a long shot as most people that retro-fit lockers on those go the ARB route and the factory original route. But they such things of beauty those factory lockers :icon-cool:
Double posted this on the SA club as well.

An update: Just finished following the wiring that comes from the rear locker. It is connected to the main wiring loom underneath the dash (right hand side).. but the other side of the connector has no cables connected.

Same story for the dashboard: I have the lights for the lockers in my dashboard (lamp fitted), but the wiring loom that enters the dashaboard has NO wire connected to power the lamp.

:doh:

Does anyone have the electrical schema for this? Is it feasible to fab it up myself?
Any other ideas?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks a lot ozcruiser! We'll get to work with this info tomorrow.. hopefully we can figure something out.

To answer my own question: there are definetely different versions of the loom. Upon further inspection of some other 79's of the same vintage, I found several different variations. All wiring for front & rear present. Only rear. Only front. I only have the rear.

Buying a full loom based on the parts numbers below (gently supplied by an lcool members) is probably the easiest way to fit the factory lockers. This will allow you to use the Toyota ECU.
82131 WIRE, COWL
82131-60868 € 3,264.03
82131-60879 W(REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCK) € 2,918.86
locker%20wires%202.jpg

Yesterday I got handed a book from Toyota with all possible connectors ever used on Landcruiser. Apparantely you can order every single connector from Toyota. They come without wiring, but you can order the wiring (a piece of +-15cm) seperately.. is also in that same book. This would allow you to reconstruct the missing cable to factory spec. I might have gone that route if I had known earlier.

In the meantime I followed a different route based on this website: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/ . That page basicly contains everything you need to know. It is true that the diff housing is different for locked/non-locked version. But the non-locked version van be adapted with a bit of grinding. You can use the original gasket as an indicator on where to cut. The link also has some indicative pics.

We have created our own wiring based on the wiring diagram on the 4x4wire page. Works like a charm... for the rear locker. Colour codes were different on my wiring, but otherwise a perfect diagram! All credit to the original creators of the diagram.

elec_locker_wiring.jpg

We still have issues with the front locker. I can lock it (once).. but then the actuator is stuck in that position. It seems like the actuator motor should hit a stop.. but it doesn't (or is forced over it). This only happens in the locking position, not in the unlocked position.

To remedy this, one has to take the motor of (3 bolts). You then have to open up the motor (be VERY careful, there are two brushes on springs that will jump out) and move it manually.

According to the Toyota books you should be able to move the motor when it is dismounted by using a 1.5V powersource. This does not work on my motor. A 9V power source does make it move (very slowly). The motor needs to be aligned as such before mounting again:

motoralign.jpg

As I am running out of time before I leave on my next trip, work on this will be on hold until september. I have a functial rear locker. And forced the front locker in the open position with wiring disconnected for now.

As for the parts required. I basicly bought this kit (from another shop, but it's the same): http://cruiser-connection.com/store....html/XTCsid/984decabd07887f1e38d42de2c6ca3d7

art15978.jpg

All OEM items. What they forget to tell you is that you need to have the correct wiring loom (as discussed above) and need to make adjustments to diff housing(see 4x4wire pics). I'll try to make a list of partnr's that is included in the kit. It's definitely not plug-and-play. But the fact that you get an all new, all original, differential with all new gears makes up for the extra work in my opinion. And a new driveshaft as well :)

So, if anyone has an idea why my front actuatormotor keeps blocking. That would cure my headaches :)

Hey mate.
Sorry to open up this thread again but that link to those OEM diffs with lockers no longer works. Could you possibly send another link?

Also where exactly in the rear was the locker wiring? Also how did you go with the front?

Or would you be able to just provide the part numbers for those two pieces of wiring pictured? I have picked up some factory locking diffs for my 80 series and just need those two extensions

Very interesting, does the same apply to a 2008 VDJ79? Wiring etc must be similar

Back