Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fj70 won’t start

Mikey0731

Country Flag
united_states
Hi I have a fj70 the other day I was driving it and then when I switched my lights on the the engine turned off.... now my dash lights don’t work and the truck doesn’t start, does anyone have any advice what this could be ..thanks

Hi Mikey, have you checked your batteries? Test their voltage across the terminal posts. Should be over 12 volts. Have you tried jump starting it? It sounds to me like the alternator stopped charging the batteries and they ran low until the truck stopped. There’s other possibilities such as fuses and fusible links but you’re going to need to give us a bit more to go on. If it is the alternator you’ll see a voltage lower than 14.4 tested just after starting. If so, with the meter connected and in view try wiggling the plug on the back of the alternator and see if you get any change in the reading on the meter.

Hi Mikey, have you checked your batteries? Test their voltage across the terminal posts. Should be over 12 volts. Have you tried jump starting it? It sounds to me like the alternator stopped charging the batteries and they ran low until the truck stopped. There’s other possibilities such as fuses and fusible links but you’re going to need to give us a bit more to go on. If it is the alternator you’ll see a voltage lower than 14.4 tested just after starting. If so, with the meter connected and in view try wiggling the plug on the back of the alternator and see if you get any change in the reading on the meter.
Hello, thanks for the quick response ok, I will try to explain best I can what has happened... the truck has been running perfect I drive it every day for work, I just replaced the battery and about 6 months ago a new alternator and starter, so everything has been fine...then one morning while I was sitting at a red light the engine just stopped running I pushed it over to the side of the road switched the lights off but then the dash lights came back on and it started, but when I turned on the lights it turned off again, I drive it home after it got light and then started checking all the connections at the battery, alternator and starter cleaned everything and went to start it now I have nothing my dash lights and instruments in the dash don’t even come on radio works headlights come on bright and just the other morning it started again no problem so I let it run but now next day same thing again, is their a starter relay I checked the fuses with my meter they are all fine someone said maybe a bad earth so I will check tomorrow where they meet the chassis of the car and see if that’s it thanks again

It’s certainly worth checking Earth straps to the engine. Easiest way is with the fault present to use a good jump lead between the battery negative and the engine block and see if it starts.

One other area to look at is the ignition switch. Both this and an Earth strap would be causes of start AND stop faults. As the truck stops, it probably isn’t a start relay.

Out of interest, why were the alternator, battery and starter all replaced?

It’s certainly worth checking Earth straps to the engine. Easiest way is with the fault present to use a good jump lead between the battery negative and the engine block and see if it starts.

One other area to look at is the ignition switch. Both this and an Earth strap would be causes of start AND stop faults. As the truck stops, it probably isn’t a start relay.

Out of interest, why were the alternator, battery and starter all replaced?
Hello well I tried a jumper cable still didn’t make a difference even tried jumping the truck if the battery was a little low but didn’t make a difference either, I replaced the battery only to find out the alternator wasn’t charging and the starter just went but all that has worked fine, it’s weird cause tonight I got the lights to come on the dash in the ACC position of the key but when I turned the lights on they went off and I heard a weird noise coming from under the dash almost sounded like a shirt in a relay, I will see what I can do over the weekend and pull some of them and see if one is faulty, will let you know thanks again

Hello today I had a chance to look at a few things, my dash lights don’t work and truck won’t start no clicking noise nothing, but when I open the hood and open the small black plastic box it has a positive post along with a acc and ignition post if I jump a cable across the positive post to the ignition all my lights in the dash come on and I here a click from the glow plug relay and when I turn the key the truck starts and runs until I roll the window down then it cuts off and blows the fuse by the ignition post... I don’t think it’s my starter or solnoid or my alternator or battery could it be a bad starter relay? As I am not getting and power to the back of the ignition where the key is, but have power for the dome light and hazards inside the truck I know I have said a lot but what do you think it is thanks Mike

C08FD004-B493-4E36-9212-689A61DABC34.jpeg E12B611A-75CB-49BF-A2A5-3CEEABE5AAA4.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Are any of those or other fuses blown? Any fusible links (short skinny wires into a connector to the loom wiring) connected to the battery terminal? Where is the switch for the electric window located? Dash or door?

Are any of those or other fuses blown? Any fusible links (short skinny wires into a connector to the loom wiring) connected to the battery terminal? Where is the switch for the electric window located? Dash or door?
Hello the switch for the windows is in the door, I am going to have a look tomorrow and see if I can trace why I am not getting power to both the acc / and ignition... it’s weird cause the truck runs fine but the min I turn on something the draws current seems to shut the power off completely... thanks again will let you know if I find something, I hope so

Hello today I had a chance to look at a few things, my dash lights don’t work and truck won’t start no clicking noise nothing, but when I open the hood and open the small black plastic box it has a positive post along with a acc and ignition post if I jump a cable across the positive post to the ignition all my lights in the dash come on and I here a click from the glow plug relay and when I turn the key the truck starts and runs until I roll the window down then it cuts off and blows the fuse by the ignition post... I don’t think it’s my starter or solnoid or my alternator or battery could it be a bad starter relay? As I am not getting and power to the back of the ignition where the key is, but have power for the dome light and hazards inside the truck I know I have said a lot but what do you think it is thanks Mike

View attachment 153613 View attachment 153614

Does anyone know where to look if I am not getting power at the ign and acc on this block because once I jump the positive terminal over to the ign the truck runs the min I disconnect it stops, I have looked everywhere but no luck I can’t figure out what feeds that block and from where? Thanks

A57BE0D5-2B79-488E-8511-EF8FEB5E13D8.jpeg 81D1546F-A1F7-4E34-B08E-EC7C884B8075.jpeg

Back