Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Flat deck build questions

babweupatree

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi there, I have been for some time contemplating the idea of building a flat bed for my 79 series double cab. In South Africa the cruisers come stock with a tub like load bay, I want to take that off and replace it with a flat bed as I do a lot of construction and would find a flat bed much more practical.

I have done a bit of Googling online but can't seem to see how people build their brackets to mount the bed onto the frame. I had a look under my truck and there don't seem to be any bolt holes. I am not going to weld onto my frame or drill holes into that so as far as I can tell the only option is to use the existing mounts on top of the ladder frame.

Perhaps someone could share a photo or two showing how their flat beds are mounted.

Thank you!

Hi, you could make a plate that overhangs each side to take a squared off U bolt or even make it out of sheet with flanges folded at the top to bolt to the plate. Then you’ll have a strong mount that’s removable and doesn’t compromise the chassis. This is a little bit like how @Chris does his rock sliders.

Last edited:
Hi, you could make a plate that uverhangs each side to take a squared off U bolt or even make it out of sheet with flanges folded at the top to bolt to the plate. Then you’ll have a strong mount that’s removable and doesn’t compromise the chassis. This is a little bit like how @Chris does his rock sliders.
Like Star cruiser says, Do all you welding, drilling and bracketry making on the mount its self Then have plates that slide either side of the chassis and bolt em up in the same principle as you would a leaf spring.. There are loads of ways it can be done without touching the Chassis. Shame your thousands of miles away..

Hi guys, thank you for the replies and apologies for the late response! I didn't get any post notifications. That's a cool idea actually, thanks for those suggestions! Anyone out there have any photos of a similar setup to share? That would be amazing if possible.

I will make sure I get notifications for the next replies :rolleyes::D

Hope these help. These are rock sliders that sideways mount to the chassis. As you’ll see, the flat plate has four elongated holes that take some goal post shaped U bolts. For what you want to do (top mount) the flat plates would be far narrower and so would the U bolts which would then be longer. The flat plates could equally be made of angle, channel or box section. You get the idea.

EA6ADC64-DB7B-4EFD-B70E-579F123178AB.jpeg

2F8E3EA0-465E-46D4-BC70-D98B88A3AD81.jpeg

C2D3C7CF-E7C8-4CC0-9705-ABA4EAC1113B.jpeg

781A9654-7EB9-49DB-B767-8C13E5E26CCF.jpeg

You’ll not need the roof tiles though. :)

Hope these help. These are rock sliders that sideways mount to the chassis. As you’ll see, the flat plate has four elongated holes that take some goal post shaped U bolts. For what you want to do (top mount) the flat plates would be far narrower and so would the U bolts which would then be longer. The flat plates could equally be made of angle, channel or box section. You get the idea.

You’ll not need the roof tiles though. :)

Thanks StarCruiser for posting those pics - that is awesome! I hadn't thought of the u-bolts approach myself so it's definitely given me something to think about for this build. I'd like to keep it simple and practical.

Please guys, if you can contribute any other ideas/whatever that would be much appreciated. Am always keen to see how people do things differently etc. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The U bolts can be substituted with sheet metal bent around in a top hat sort of shape. Or the flat plate can be made as a top hat with the plate at the base. With flat plates on top though, the bed can be aligned much easier as it can simply be lowered to sit on the chassis and jiggled to suit before doing the bolts up.

Truck Bodies are often mounted with a wooden plank /spacer sandwiched between the chassis rails and the load body with great UBolts clamping everything together. Wood gives a measure of spring / elasticity.

Back