Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Flickering rev counter

warrenpfo

I assume the 80 has a cable fed rev counter which might be the reason for what I am experiencing. The needle flickers with no change in revs. It's not much about 500rpm but just wondered if it was normal or to be expected.

It happens in neutral and whilst stopped in gear.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uao-11ExwcI

I believe it is a bad contact somewhere, the tacho and speedo are electronic no cables.

This along with a fuel gauge that always reads full and a speedo gauge that has been altered to read MPH and not KPH and the D light not working leads me to believe I need to get behind there and see what has been done.

Thanks

IIRC correctly the revolution counter is fed from a signal from the alternator? It is fully electronic so no steel/flexible cables.

regards

Dave

There's a sensor on the injection pump that drives the tacho, via the engine ECU. Engine ECU is behind the glove box. Might be one of the common earthing points has got corroded if you think the faults are related. D light bulb failure is common as it spends so much time lit up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's a sensor on the injection pump that drives the tacho, via the engine ECU. Engine ECU is behind the glove box. Might be one of the common earthing points has got corroded if you think the faults are related. D light bulb failure is common as it spends so much time lit up.

OOOps! I thought this was the 80 only cruisers area, it was only when I read your post Jon and checked the OP signature I realised he had a 100.

Good job one of us is awake mate,

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back