Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Flip out key fob

Justin_Elliott

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Does anyone know if its possible to get a flip out key fob for the 80? like this one...

I'm not worried about the electrics (i've got a plan for in there) more that the 'blank' suits the 80 key...

If the pic is accurate (and lets face it, when were they ever accurate on ebay?) then it doesn't match my sitting on the table here.

It dose only list the 100 series too...

Cheers

Yep, realise that - I like the way it doesn't show any buttons (or button covers) either!

But I swear I've seen one listed for the 80 a while back... couldn't find anything after an extensive search...

Just toying with the idea of getting my bunch of keys down to something more pocket-comfortable....

there are two blade types also. there is the normal key type where the edges are cut out and there's the milled in the centre type. the latter is a JDM/Lexus thing, but maybe applies to later landcruisers in the uk. i think earlier uk landcruisers have the ordinary edge cut type. that would be the first check.

looking at the pic, it seems to be a fit for later toyota keys, where the fob is part of the key, rather than a keyring type thing. as i understand it, 80 remote locking is via a separate fob, so i'm not sure it will fit.

callum said:
there are two blade types also. there is the normal key type where the edges are cut out and there's the milled in the centre type. the latter is a JDM/Lexus thing, but maybe applies to later landcruisers in the uk.
If it's any help, my '94 80 key is the milled in centre type of key, but it's not a flip out one.

My 94 also has the milled out centre.

Various498.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Righty ho…. Old thread I know but following on from the above and a after little thinking time and seeing as I couldn’t find one designed or made for the 80 series… I decided to hack about with one instead (seeing as my spare key was broken anyway.

After measuring several different flip out key’s I bought one of these…

Took the spare key and chopped off the black rubber (before starting it was exactly the same as joinerman’s above – although, as I say it was broken).

IMG_3158.jpg

Had I known there was a hole in the metal bit, I probably wouldn’t have bothered with this mod!
Anyway, took apart the flip out key fob and using a dremel and bench grinder copied the key fob end of the blank…

IMG_3164.jpg

Reassembled unit and tested in truck :D

IMG_3163.jpg

Whole process took less than 20 minutes and not bad for £8.99
Just working on fitting the alarm electrics…

Bloody beaut idea..!!!!
So dya track down a ‘fob blank’ on eBay and then cut your spare down..!?
I might give that a key for my 105 series I reckon..

Back