Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fog lights

Tractionman

Country Flag
england
Any of you 120 owners used kva distributors front bumper fog lights.
I have used them previously for other stuff and been happy with, but I don't want something that will hold moisture and corrode inside in a short time. The oem o/s is shot for that reason and mot coming up.
I know karl2000 has recently used roughtrax, but as I rarely use the things, looking for cheaper -
£32.50 each, or is cheaper dearer as no longevity. Thanks

There are lots of cheaper ones available, for example on fleebay (Leaving forum)
Agree they hardly get used, so might be prudent to go cheap to keep mr MOT man happy.
Unless the ones you are looking at are really badly made there shouldn’t be any issue with water ingress (unless the glass cracks), my person preference would be in this instance to buy cheap and use the money saved on something else :)

Thanks for input DH, I have looked at fleabay n all from China, amazingly cheap peŕ pair provided there is not the sting of import duty + vat. My experience of buying from China is long wait, they may not arrive and b/s excuses. The kva ones are unbranded so may well be from China, but from them will be an easier ride.
The dodgy one on mine isn't cracked but always holds moisture and reflector peeling and given the new mot rules, my jobsworth tester is likely to fail it on poor beam pattern, as now even more it is left to their own interpretation and discretion. Not that the beam pattern or penetration is good on any good foglights anyway.
I wonder what he would say if I removed both, if not there he cannot test- right?

My apologies - had not realised that the ones I pointed out were from China, agree would most probably not arrive in time.

One question is when was your cruiser manufactured? Only asking as front fog lamps only have to be checked as part of the MOT if it was registered on or after 1 March 2018 (See here for the MOT rules currently in force. Interestingly it does not appear hat there is any pattern requirement, just that they produce light and that the light is similar (and white) from both front units, and that if the light emitted is not adversely effected it's only a minor fault. And from what I'm reading, looks like yo could get away with removing them completely.

you must inspect:

• all front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018
  • the 1 rear fog lamp which must be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980

Guess it depends on how anal your MOT man is.

No apologies necessary DH, any info is good. In fact it looks like I interpreted rules wrong as mine is 2006, so not part of test anyway. Rather not remove both anyway as Karl had a right struggle replacing both.
Might as well just leave the buggers as is then and take it, as they both work. Thanks mate.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mot on 22nd so just tidying up a few bits. 1 rear no. plate light out of 2 not working that was advisory before I got it last year, and so far slipped my mind.
All the small holding screws rusted solid, and as you all know recessed in housing so awkward to get at.
Hey ho!

I bought cheap bumper lights for my 90 thinking they will only rot again anyway , less than a year later having replaced a number of fuses and visited an auto electrician 3 times i bought the ultimately much cheaper ones from roughtrax .

Krown comes in a rattlecan might that seal the lights ?

Mot on 22nd so just tidying up a few bits. 1 rear no. plate light out of 2 not working that was advisory before I got it last year, and so far slipped my mind.
All the small holding screws rusted solid, and as you all know recessed in housing so awkward to get at.
Hey ho!

Remember with cross head screws on Japanese cars they require JIS ( Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers, ordinary Philips screwdrivers do not have the same contours.
I didn't know about this till quite recently, now i have the proper screwdrivers life is much easier.

For years i've been cursing other people for buggering up the, what i though were, Philips screws on things like air filter casings engine covers light fittings etc, usually on the used Hondas my daughter has had, but also those number plate lights on our 120's, wasn't till someone mentioned JIS that the penny finally dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just like my car to look and I had a green lense in my drivers front fog light
I found a set on amazon I think and they were selling for around £35.
I ordered the fog lights and new they were copies but jesus they were so badly made and so cheaply made.
I had already taken my old one out to replace and compared the 2 together and I never even bothered to fit just straight in the bin.
Just read reviews and you will find the correct item you need.

Found out about JIS some years ago with lj78. James May spoke about them once and said they were difficult to get hold of outside Japan, cobblers, you can get them easily over here as I found out.
I think I got them Europarts via ebay. A few different sizes as phillips, pozi etc.
Yep, nothing else comes close, and as found others will chew the heads to fork!

I don't think I will bother with sealant, as it's forked anyway. That Krown stuff is good but expensive anyway, and would go a good ways towards cost of cheaper light, lol
Yeah as said, cheap could be dear in long run , if replaced, You keep having to replace cheap with cheap, which works out more than a dear one if you get my drift?

Karl, you wont regret it. You will be looking for all sorts of jobs to try out, they fit extremely well.

Back