Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Foxwing

fridayman

Garage
I'm thinking about picking one up, but am curious how you have mounted yours? I have seen the clever setup that Jon has. what about the rest of you? Bars or rack? What make/brand/manufacturer?

Mine is mounted to the side of my full-length roof-rack using a very smart system made up for me - some square bar with a side chopped off so it clamps over the side of the rack with a bit of flat bar welded to it and drilled for the mounting holes. Much better than the original OEM mounts I used, when the Foxwing fell off in the Lakes :evil:

I'll go take some pics shall I ...

cb7449e5.jpg

c5b8c14f.jpg

Rack is currently off the vehicle and hoisted into the carport roof, but that should show the Foxwing brackets OK ...

The standard brackets they come with are designed to sit on top of something like a Rhino cross bar that gives them more support than the edge of Gary's rack and they work well enough for that but that may make the awning sit much higher than is ideal. Mine is currently mounted with some simple T brackets, the fancy fold over ones were for a different rack set up and I haven't been bothered to adapt them for the current one.

fridayman said:
Would the std brackets work on Toyota roof bars?
I don't know what Toyota roof bars look like but if they're just normal box section roof bars then they would work you'd just need to drill a hole in the bar for the bolt to go through whereas the Rhino bars have a slot running the length of them that a bolt slots into. The standard brackets are functionally an L bracket with a hole in the bottom that you put a bolt through to fix them to the rail if that makes any sense?

P.S. for anyone who has an older Fox Wing like mine which came with a purely fabric cover that fades with the UK's copious precipitation you can get replacement new style PVC (or whatever it is) coated covers from BOAB, just slide your old one off and slide the new one on which is what I've done with mine :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
fridayman said:
Would the std brackets work on Toyota roof bars?
I don't know what Toyota roof bars look like but if they're just normal box section roof bars then they would work you'd just need to drill a hole in the bar for the bolt to go through whereas the Rhino bars have a slot running the length of them that a bolt slots into. The standard brackets are functionally an L bracket with a hole in the bottom that you put a bolt through to fix them to the rail if that makes any sense?

Yip, just box section so sounds like they will work.

I think I might make a T-bracket too, to try and lower it a bit.

Mine happens to be in the house as I dont have a rack to mount it to and came with the 2 brackets pictured below:

6082681444_acf9284260.jpg

6082142061_a79e22d628.jpg

6082142533_c25b263b18.jpg

My cover has faded but still works well.

Back