Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Free tyres

Beware! The first thing you should ask for is the date code on the tyres. It’s a four-figure code MMYY so 0709 would mean the tyres were made in July 2009.

I don’t think there’s a law about how old tyres can be, but anything over 10 years should be replaced with new.

I was offered cheap Dunlop Grandtreks last year. The youngest was 11 years old and the oldest 15. Apparently they came out of storage after a tyre supplier went bust. I fitted some brand new tyres instead.

Beware! The first thing you should ask for is the date code on the tyres. It’s a four-figure code MMYY so 0709 would mean the tyres were made in July 2009.

I don’t think there’s a law about how old tyres can be, but anything over 10 years should be replaced with new.

I was offered cheap Dunlop Grandtreks last year. The youngest was 11 years old and the oldest 15. Apparently they came out of storage after a tyre supplier went bust. I fitted some brand new tyres instead.
As these tyres are being sold by AM, he could perhaps consider posting up the date code if he wanted to…:whistle:

I'v just had a look them. 1 x 2007 (the spare), 2 x 2012 (rears) & 2 x 2016 (fronts).

The code is actually XXYY, where XX is the week of manufacture and YY is the year, i.e. 0515 would be 1st week of March in 2015.

A bit like my factory fitted unused spare from 1994 with the knobbles still on you mean! It’s gone now. :)

I'v just had a look them. 1 x 2007 (the spare), 2 x 2012 (rears) & 2 x 2016 (fronts).

The code is actually XXYY, where XX is the week of manufacture and YY is the year, i.e. 0515 would be 1st week of March in 2015.

Thanks for the correction. The tyres I was offered were advertised as new tyres. I was looking for four new tyres of the same brand and tread pattern to replace the tyres on the 120 when I bought it. Including the spare, there were 5 tyres, 5 different brands, 5 tread patterns and 5 tread depths varying from 2mm to 9mm. The Dunlop Grandtreks I was offered keep appearing on eBay, and probably elsewhere. The seller was originally asking £80 each, but said he would accept £60, and when I asked the age of the tyres he dropped the price to £40!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
These aren't new. Just taken off due to me fitting ATs. Just need rid of them really.

Have you thought about posting up the tread depths AM? Might help.

I'll check with my Dad - I think his Dunlops were wearing a bit thin...

I'm knackered then .........My 1943 IHC Halftrack still has wartime dated Goodyear front tyre's and wartime dated BFG Tracks ;-) .
Too be fair the tracks will soon be replaced with some "new" 1980's ones .

Back