Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

freezing Diesel

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Heard from 5 people today unable to start their diesel cars here in Aberdeenshire due to diesel freezing.
it was -18.7 at our place last night. landcruiser wasn't in garage last night so was worried i wouldnt be able to start it, but it started on 2nd attempt - battery sluggish.
went to a wife's colleagues house to help start izuzi pickup, thinking he had flat battery, but his diesel had frozen.

havent heard of people having frozen fuel for many years,
NB they all seemed to be using Morrisons fuel.... i had Shell Diesel

could it be some frozen water in the water trap in the fuel filter/

Or some water in the diesel that has frozen (doesn't it sink in the tank (might be wrong)

I run about 4 litres of unleaded with a tankful of diesel at this time of year which also help prevent waxing (used to truck a lot of stuff about and the truckers were doing that the further north they ran and up into canada.

good luck.

Mix in kerosene.
Winter-diesel further north contains up to 40 % from the pump. Keeps it liquid down to - 30 C.
Colder than that: Make a bonfire under the tank and engine.

Kerosene in you tank in the uk will get you a bit fine in the uk. Parafin works well, but has the same problem, the fine. As above petrol works fine.

Paul

A litre of petrol and 2stroke oil (35:1) to a full tank will work wonders in stopping the fuel freezing. I had no problems with mine but then again my trucks get shell v power in winter. The wifes car had problems starting though as she runs tescos fuel.

When I said Kerosene above, I ment Paraffin Oil. Is "Kerosene" used only in US English maybe?

Found this informative thread on a Benz forum: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general- ... axing.html - except the first posting which contains a bit of misinformation. Check posts 6, 8, 11 & 16. (#6 is a Cruiser fan as well :))

There are claims that there is a type of Winter Diesel in the UK as well, and that if you fill at a pump with a high turn over, you will get fuel suited for the season.

The diesel 80's & 100's with a "W" at the end of the model code has a heating element on the filter, to avoid waxing. W stands for "Europe" (Did they think W=winter :think: )

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's a product called 'Coldflow 350 or 420' from Chemiphase. Mostly used for Biodiesel but should also lower cloud point for B5 or B7 etc.

I have a heater I believe in my 02 colorado filter head :whistle:

Cheers

I think they all do. The fly by wire Denso IPs also have an insulated case around them. Problem is that on a cold start, the heater you mention won't have heated what's between filter, IP and injectors.

My truck struggled to start on wvo this morning with it being cold. Once i got it started took ages before i could get it to rev up. Time to get the twin tank system on i think.

Blame the fuel suppliers for not sticking winter spec fuel in their tanks! (at the right time)

Karl

What about fitting one of those webasto hotstart deals - so you are starting a warmed up truck? - you'd need to feed that small unit some regular diesel for the warm up period?

I have a Kenlow Hotstart and it works a treat but you have to keep it plugged into the mains overnight so not good if you have to park on the street.

adrianr said:
Karl

What about fitting one of those webasto hotstart deals - so you are starting a warmed up truck? - you'd need to feed that small unit some regular diesel for the warm up period?

Adrian

A block heater is the way im going. I mentioned it last year and was green lanning last weekend and mentioned it again. I did buy one but it was faulty so never got fitted. Have you got one on yourself?

Karl

Not yet, but just working out how to get a used one from something like a BMW x5 or similar. rig it to run either through whole cooling system / engine to warm up before morning start, or isolate via three way solenoids to just run through the heater matrix so i can run the heater fans inside truck and keep warm on the chilly nights when i sleep in it. seems pretty straightforward.

Exactly what im wanting it for. Keep the dog warm in the day and me warm when lanning and for the mornings. Planning on having pipes running into my fuel tank to keep my veg oil warm as well. They do the heaters on some of the omegas and merc vitos. Suppose most cars would have the option for sale in countries where its cold.

Karl

Dogs gonna love you even more!

They seem to be fitted to Range Rovers and Landrovers but for purpose of getting engine up to temp quicker

bit of 'fixing' the wiring should make it work fine and switch on when you want.

If you run the heater pipes to the main fuel tank fixed (cable tied) to the incoming fuel lines, and add a heat exchanger (ex combi boiler) just prior to the fuel filter (also via the Webasto) it may make the difference you want?

Defo mate. I have ran two tank system on a few of my trucks and it works a treat. 10p per L What more can i say :thumbup:

As for the dog, She has been spoilt for the last few years with the eberspacher hot air blowers :lol: Worked great and i have a few at the min but i carnt heat my fuel with them, thats why im going down the block heater route.

Karl

I also have the 24/7 timers so you can set it to turn and off so many times a day seven days a week.

Back