Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front axle noise.

safhawk

Country Flag
uk
I have had a bit of a oil leak the front axle for a time - should of done something about it before now!
Also had developed an occasional metallic rubbing noise on left side front, heard when freewheeling a slow speeds. No noise or free play in bearings when rotating wheel by hand. It didn't seem related to using the brakes and no knocking noise when on full lock so probably not CV joints.
Last week I got a set of gaskets and seals and stripped axle down. (Got from RoughTrax 4x4 - same axle as '88 to '97 LN106 Hilux)
Cleaned and checked all parts could not see any damage or wear. Fitted new seals, gaskets and trunnion bearings, repacked wheel bearings and new grease in steering knuckle and CV joint. I didn't dismantle CV joint but cleaned it with paraffin and could see no damage.
Test drive yesterday - noise still there.
What have I missed?
(This query also on 40 Series facebook page).
Steve

was there any oil left in your diff/axle when you drained it? I take it you replaced the inner axle seal?

There was oil in diff, drained into washup bowl then poured into 5lt oil container, about 2lt, should have been 2.5lt.
Inner seals replaced.

You did replace the shims upper and lower as they were and you did check the preload?
I am wondering if it is the centre arm bush, once they wear they can give a metal on metal sound.

Regards,

Rodger

Yes made sure shims went back where they came, preload seemed ok. By centre arm do you mean on the steering? Noise not related to operating steering.

Back