Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front diff drop

Danny b

Country Flag
uk
Are there any UK suppliers for front different drop kit? Or gas anyone sourced there own bolts and turned up the spacers. Want to do mine before undertray gets refitted.

Not a common part here really. You don't gain that much and of course if you have a bash plate fitted it's usually in the way. It's just two thick collars machined up and a couple of longer (much longer) bolts. You could do it by stacking washers in fact.

Why do you need to drop the diff?

It lessens the angle of the front drive shafts and CVs on the 90 when you fit a lift kit David. They can get a bit hairy and if you push them they don't like it.

Pretty sure WUGG did not have it done, Andy and myself did a lot of miles with a 2 inch lift without any issues

Ahh, but there are two ways to do a lift on a 90 David. One is quite kind to the CVs and the other really isn't. It all depends where you put the extra lift in you see. You can do taller springs OR you can do longer struts.

In either case, a diff drop is kinder to the clanky parts. Not always needed but it does more good than harm.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Was just interested

Wugg did have a diff drop kit fitted for a few days, Chris posted me the kit to try out. I had fitted the stiffest OME coils at front and got strange driveline vibration, the diff drop kit didn't cure it, so sent it back to Chris,
I replaced the springs with next level down in stiffness, which lowered front down a bit and problem solved!

Wugg did have a diff drop kit fitted for a few days, Chris posted me the kit to try out. I had fitted the stiffest OME coils at front and got strange driveline vibration, the diff drop kit didn't cure it, so sent it back to Chris,
I replaced the springs with next level down in stiffness, which lowered front down a bit and problem solved!
Then I went back to the stiffer springs when I fitted the TJM bumper

Over here in the US diff drops are pretty popular for the Toyota 4runner. You guys should see what these guys do to them in terms of lift. A lot of people running around on 33 tyres casually. Some bigger.

Anyway, a company called toyotec I believe sells them around $50. I don't know if they ship to the UK though. If you'd like a set my brother is coming back to the UK in couple weeks time and can bring one over and post it to you once in the UK.

I am trying to source bolts, m14x1.5 230-250mm long? I can make up spacers.
Beau if I can't find bolts I will take you up on the offer, thank you.

My lift is via springs, I have new dampers but kept standard length to limit the drop, the rear has longer dampers for more drop out.

Any ideas for bolt suppliers?

I can usually find what i need on ebay but Spalding fasteners springs to mind for reasons i am unsure of , could be where i got my longer fine thread recovery bolts ?

I have Pedders HD +2" shocks and springs at the front with no diff drop .

I've got a 2" spacer lift at the front with no diff drop. Approx 20000m on original Toyo CVs with no mechanical issues. I fitted aftermarket Milner CV complete shafts as a precaution and one of the inner joints self-destructed after 6 months. However, I put this down to poor manufacture/quality and not the angle of the shafts given the length of time the originals went without problem. [It taught me a lesson about replacing OEM with aftermarket for no good reason]

The boots can be a problem and I've had several split adjacent to the clips - I have found the best solution is not to use metal boot clips but to use cable ties and not to tighten them too much (in fact one or two of mine are only secured at the 'small' end). I know that's against conventional wisdom but my boots have remained rock-solid in position with no grease leaks. OK, I can't be sure of the state of the internal grease without stripping them but whenever I've done it in the past all has been well.

Had a busy lunch break, 40mm spacers turned and 8 gutter clamps fabricated for my roof rack build.

IMAG1822.jpg

Very nice but do you know the gutter is curved? on my rack the middle feet are 10mm shorter than the end ones but I only have 6

They will be mounted to the gutter and then the frame from there so the require angle in relation to the gutter will be set then.

I realised that when I looked at the pic for a second time :)

I wouldn't have thought finding the suitable bolts should have been a problem... try a local hardware store. If that fails, you're bound to find them online!

Back