Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front diff drop

I'm impressed with how well the driveline handles the stress of bigger wheels/tires. Many 4runners on that forum have 300,000+ miles, a few over half a million. Toyota's petrol engines also seem to be pretty bulletproof by the look of this.

awful fuel bills are subjective haha ever since I came here I haven't worried about mpg. 30 pounds/ $40 fill up for about 70 litres, compared to over hundred pounds.

I like the idea of bigger rubber on mine but have come to accept it would be detrimental unless i could widen the trucks stance considerably , it could be done i'm sure but its a heap of work for not much gain .
I could probably fit 2" wider wheels and tyres using the space left by the negative offset and its tempting for aesthetic reasons but again i think it would cost me in off road ability .

If you cut the arches out you could put 44 inch wheels on without altering anything else but IFS suspension has inherent limits on lift and you can only drop the diff a little . I still day dream about Total Chaos and their long travel ifs kit :drool:

I know what you're saying Shayne. Even if I could afford the necessaries, I'm not sure I would go for the mini-monster truck look. It's probably best admired from afar (and it certainly looks the business). I think things are different in the States: their 'lanes' are things like the Rubicon rather than the muddy glorified farm tracks that we make do with. I can think of maybe half a dozen rocky lanes in this country where 35" tyres would make a difference, and even then a truck with 31.5" tyres usually manages with a bit of momentum (in my case) or skillful driving. Oh, and fuel cost isn't the same sort of issue as Beau pointed out!

Mind you, I just googled Total Chaos/long travel IFS kit... nice

The top tier spec those guys make actually increase your front end track width considerably. Something like 7 inches, and are designed to be run with an aftermarket wider fiberglass wing. They also use the Tundra CV's as they're longer and probably stronger as well. Worth also mentioning that the first gen tundra calipers/disc will work on our trucks. They're much bigger calipers/disc and offer better stopping capability. I'm on a look out for some.

They told me "modified" Tundra driveshafts . I still have the quote somewhere i think it was about 5000 dollars without the wings .

Since the Bigred caliper rebuild , fluid flush and new (black) disks on each corner i don't think i could upgrade my brakes without locking wheels every time i touched them .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back