Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Transfer Output Seal Job - anyone done one?

Cptsideways

Garage
I did find a thread about this last week but now can't find it.

Will the front output shaft pull out or do you have to pull the front of the transfer case off to do it? I've got the seal from MrT so am armed & ready!

Looking at the FSM it looks like you will need to take the front extension off and remove the bearing etc before taking the shaft out which should give you access to the oil seal. Looks like you will need a bearing puller to get the drive clutch hub off the shaft.

Dave Docwra said:
The front one can be done in place..

Well only sort of!!!

Involves removing the front part of the housing, undoing a circlip that retains the output shaft, refitting housing & tapping the shaft out. As the housing & shaft can't be gotton past the autobox if if the shaft is in situ. (You could grind a cast tab back on the gearbox but thats not the easy option)

So really its a transfer box off to do it

Cptsideways said:
Dave Docwra said:
The front one can be done in place..

Well only sort of!!!

Involves removing the front part of the housing, undoing a circlip that retains the output shaft, refitting housing & tapping the shaft out. As the housing & shaft can't be gotton past the autobox if if the shaft is in situ. (You could grind a cast tab back on the gearbox but thats not the easy option)

So really its a transfer box off to do it

Maybe the early one is different :roll:

If it is the one for the prop flange it can be done in place, just drop the prop.

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul_Humphreys said:
If it is the one for the prop flange it can be done in place, just drop the prop.

Paul

I can also concur, I have done the front one in situ.

Anyone still following this thread? I'm trying to drop my front extension without having to pop off the whole case. Does cycling the center locking diff move the selector up high enough to pull the unit out? I'm having a tough time gettting the extension past this point

IMG_0095.JPG

Clearly there is some difference of opinion here. I have tried to do mine in situ in the past and there was no way in Hades that the front extension housing would come off. Forget wiggling or jiggling the locker etc, it would NOT clear. Now maybe there is a difference between manual and auto. But, if you aren't sure, taking the whole transfer case off so so easy, it's daft not to. Last time I did it, I timed myself and from opening garage door to dropping the truck back onto its wheels, I managed 45 mins.

But you're struggling with something else. There shouldn't be an issue with actually getting the housing off the T case. It's hung up on something but I can't think what. I do recall having an issue getting it back on where it needed a jiggle but not in dismantling it.

Huh I figured it would be a little more of a pia to take the whole thing off! I might just do that! It hangs up on this spot on the trans and there's no amount of wiggling that allows it to clear the locker selecting shaft since the output shaft is still part way in the tcase. Is yours a manual?

IMG_0097.JPG

Last one I did was an auto. But I've done dozens of transfer box on and off operations. With the whole drive train out, it's a 5 minute job and there's no surprises in there there. Just not worth struggling.

Last one I did was an auto. But I've done dozens of transfer box on and off operations. With the whole drive train out, it's a 5 minute job and there's no surprises in there there. Just not worth struggling.

This makes perfect sense! I really appreciate you taking the time to post back! I actually ended up moving the locker shaft up with this group of batteries that were laying around and the thing came right out.

IMG_0099.JPG

Sweet! Hey no worries about the reply, that's what this forum is for.

Back