Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front wheel hubs: to buy or not to buy

Reisverhartel

Garage
Country Flag
netherlands
Our HZJ79 is being upgraded a bit for years of overlanding in our dreams and hopefully in our future.

Being new in this area and thus reading my eyes out and straining both hemispheres about all overdone accessoires and how to spend even more on the villa as floorheating and massage chairs, I found some contradicting advices about the hubs. Would the forum be so kind to advice me on this?

The 79 has part time 4WD, the 1HZ motor non-turbo, an ARB rear diff airlocker.

Are there strong opinions about the necessity of front freewheel hubs for a candidate overlander? Any suggestions about a mark? Genuine Toyota, AVM? Thanks for an advice.

I and probably a few others are not quite sure what you are asking here (I am not familiar with the model you have) as most tojo's here (OZ) , come with free wheeling hubs... except the 80 series which is all wheel drive.. (correct me if I am wrong). If your vehicle has a Hi/Lo gear shift, front diff... then yes free wheeling hubs are the go... fuel consumption wise... and wear wise.. although its recommended to put your hubs in for lubrication for a day every 3 months or so.

If you are going to buy..... I would get a set off a wrecker if the price of a new set is expensive... I live in outback Oz and we would put the hubs in say max 10 times a year for a short time.. so basically 2nd hand from a reputable wrecker would be pretty unused...

Hope this helps...

I and probably a few others are not quite sure what you are asking here (I am not familiar with the model you have) as most tojo's here (OZ) , come with free wheeling hubs... except the 80 series which is all wheel drive.. (correct me if I am wrong). If your vehicle has a Hi/Lo gear shift, front diff... then yes free wheeling hubs are the go... fuel consumption wise... and wear wise.. although its recommended to put your hubs in for lubrication for a day every 3 months or so.

If you are going to buy..... I would get a set off a wrecker if the price of a new set is expensive... I live in outback Oz and we would put the hubs in say max 10 times a year for a short time.. so basically 2nd hand from a reputable wrecker would be pretty unused...

Hope this helps...

Hi,

We have a HZJ79, HI/LO gear shift, rear diff.

Thanks for your answer and advice. I will look for a wrecker. Not much wrecks in France although.;)

Go for the hubs. Genuine or avm will be fine. I have avm's on my 40 and they have been on there for more than 20 years already with no issues. The genuine ones on my 75 are fine too.

Go for the hubs. Genuine or avm will be fine. I have avm's on my 40 and they have been on there for more than 20 years already with no issues. The genuine ones on my 75 are fine too.
OK, thank you for your advice.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back