Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front wiper arm

Matthew1955

Country Flag
wales
Hi All,
Can anyone advise me on how to remove/adjust anticlockwise the front drivers side wiper arm.At the bottom/rest position it is just catching the top lip of the bonnet and is really annoying as it clunks on every return stroke when its raining.
I have removed the cover cap and the nut below but this does not appear to free up the arm to be removed from the stud.It only needs moving anticlockwise a mm or so and the problem will be solved.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Matthew

You might need a wiper arm puller to get the arm off, they can be a tight fit.

Hi All,
Can anyone advise me on how to remove/adjust anticlockwise the front drivers side wiper arm.At the bottom/rest position it is just catching the top lip of the bonnet and is really annoying as it clunks on every return stroke when its raining.
I have removed the cover cap and the nut below but this does not appear to free up the arm to be removed from the stud.It only needs moving anticlockwise a mm or so and the problem will be solved.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Matthew
Make sure the problem isn’t a worn wiper mech. Is there play in the spindle? If so new mech needed now or soon. Milners have decent copies for about £60.

Pulled my arms off by wiggling with mole grips. Bought a little puller but it didn’t fit well.

Thanks guys I did look at pullers after flint posted but they didnt look like they would be able to fit due to the plastic cowl mounted across the base of the screen if you get my drift.Also the bonnet seems to get in the way.I guess its going to be brut force and mole grips

Last edited:
Lift the arm up and then try wiggling it around first. I've had them off like this before but sometimes they are corroded onto the spindle.

I have now tried both your suggestions,mole grips and plenty of wiggle but no joy so it looks like its off to Mr Toyota to let them fix it,thanks anyway.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now that what I'd really call the last resort! It's unfortunate but they do corrode and can be a devil to remove, but what you may discover is that not only the splines in the arm are stuffed but by the time they have the thing off, then the splines on the spindle will be toast too. This might result in new arms and a new wiper arm mechanism. I did look at how much the arms were for mine and they weren't cheap. It might be worth just bending the arm a little to clear the bottom of the screen. Once Mr T gets hold of your wallet this could turn out to be rather costly.

I had to buy a new arm for the 80, because the old one had welded itself to the spindle spline. Thankfully, it was easy to cut the old arm off with a small (worn-down) angle grinder blade, without damaging the spindle spline.

The new arm was circa 80 quid, IIRC, which doesn’t sound too bad if you whisper it really quickly and out of earshot of the missus... :whistle:

I have managed to bend the arm slightly and I think it will now reach the bottom of the stroke before it hits the bonnet,just got to wait for it to rain,shouldn't be long being in Wales, to check the bend works.

I have managed to bend the arm slightly and I think it will now reach the bottom of the stroke before it hits the bonnet,just got to wait for it to rain,shouldn't be long being in Wales, to check the bend works.

A ha. So you're to thank for the week and more of dry weather we have forecast.

Rob did you find it difficult to fit? With a cursery look it looks like I might need to remove the bonnet plus the plastic cowl across the bottom of the screen to get to the mechanism.I am no mechanic but I fancy giving it a go myself,what can go wrong haha

Rob did you find it difficult to fit? With a cursery look it looks like I might need to remove the bonnet plus the plastic cowl across the bottom of the screen to get to the mechanism.I am no mechanic but I fancy giving it a go myself,what can go wrong haha

It was pretty straightforward. You need to take the plastic cowl off, and if you manage to do that without damaging a couple of the clips you are a better man than I. But they are pennies from ebay and you can drive around with one or two broken clips no problem. No need to remove the bonnet. Then the mechanism just unbolts. No dramas. I remember having to faff about a few times getting the wipers correctly orientated on the new spindles, just trial and error.

All done,as you said Rob the job was pretty straight forward and I managed to save all the clips,but what I did do was, as I popped off the spline holding nut covers I managed to pop one straight on to the top of the engine,one bounce and down into the depths never to be seen again without taking all kinds of bits off from the underside so it is staying there. Also it was a bit of a fiddle getting the wiper on the splines in just the right place as you found but good job done and no money spent with Mr T .

Back