Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel Filter

txyota

I am searching on how to change a fuel filter on a 1997 Land Cruiser and I'm not having luck finding anything. Do you all have a repair manual recommendation or know how to change the fuel filter?

Thanks,
txyota

Well in principle, it's as easy as unscrew old one and screw on new one. There isn't a procedure as such. There are tips and tricks perhaps, but it is as I have said, unscrew and replace. Now, there is a water level float switch in the base of the filter that needs to come off too. Mine is a 12v whereas yours at 97 is probably a 24v but I'd guess they were the same. I tend to unbolt the filter bracket, unplug the float switch connector and take it to the bench to change it. It's just easier. And there is fuel in there too which I drain out of the water drain plug in the bottom of the filter.

But seriously in relation to home car DIY, this is second only to topping up your washer bottle.

Chris

Yep, this is the same on a 24v. As Chris said - very easy job.

I am searching on how to change a fuel filter on a 1997 Land Cruiser and I'm not having luck finding anything. Do you all have a repair manual recommendation or know how to change the fuel filter?

Thanks,
txyota
You haven't revealed which version you have (diesel, petrol, 1hz, 1hd, etc) or where you are located (or rather which market the car was produced for).
There are differences, but for the main fuel filter for a diesel 80, it is like Chris says.

I strongly suggest making a signature line with some vehicle details for easy reference.

Its easier to remove the filter, complete with housing, and replace whilst holding the housing in a vice... youtube has quite a few examples of this - do a search and you'll see similar fuel filters on other vehicles..

Also - remember to use tools for removal of filter, but installation should be hand tight only - over-tightening is likely to cause damage to seals or plastic components (such as the water sensor).

Again - Vehicles do differ - so if you quote your version the advice/guidance will be much more specific...

HTH

Its easier to remove the filter, complete with housing, and replace whilst holding the housing in a vice... youtube has quite a few examples of this - do a search and you'll see similar fuel filters on other vehicles..

Also - remember to use tools for removal of filter, but installation should be hand tight only - over-tightening is likely to cause damage to seals or plastic components (such as the water sensor).

Again - Vehicles do differ - so if you quote your version the advice/guidance will be much more specific...

HTH

The 'hand tight' tip is very relevant! On my diesel, I got close to breaking the filter body casting trying to release the filter can bolt (nut? Can't remember without looking). Anyway, I agree with Chris' suggestion to take the whole thing off and work it on the bench. Much easier (if you have a bench that is!).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back