Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel Gauge

warrenpfo

Morning all

Just trying to get to the bottom of my fuel gauge issues.

Having had a closer look at the problem it would seem the gauge does move but only very little. It shows full having just put in £50 and then drops about 5mm and the reserve light comes on.

I wanted to ask if the needle on the gauge should drop to the bottom on turning off the ignition or does it show the fuel level all the time? On unplugging the sender unit the needle on the gauge does not drop.

On opening up the tank I have found a bit it debris at the bottom. Shall I leave it or try clean it out??
era6une8.jpg

On unplugging the sender and turning on the ignition the needle drops to empty. On plugging the sender in and making sure the float is in the empty position the needle rises to half. On lifting the needle to full the needle rises to full. So I assume it's the winding on the sender that is fubared. I opened it up and this is what it looks like... What do you think??
8u2azymu.jpg

Empty is to the right and full the left. You can see a bit of a gap towards empty but not sure if it looks normal or not

On unplugging the sender and turning on the ignition the needle drops to empty. On plugging the sender in and making sure the float is in the empty position the needle rises to half. On lifting the needle to full the needle rises to full. So I assume it's the winding on the sender that is fubared. I opened it up and this is what it looks like... What do you think??
byzy7una.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
These devices do wear out and I have had to replace one in the past, on a full tank it read full, ok reading down to 3/4 then dropped to zero so I replaced it.

Andy

If you use a long narrow hose as a syphon this acts as a very good "vacuum" cleaner to suck up any debris. Very effective as it is working at 14.5 psi.

Warren, I've got a complete cluster here sitting doing nothing if you need it.

Just a thought, have you checked the connection of the plug & socket underneath.

if I recall there is a joint in the loom ( plug & socket) under the truck just in front of the pass side rear wheel, getting someone to wiggle the wire from the sender end it's not hard to locate, and mine was full of crud thrown up from the wheels.

Andy

tests for the gauge and sender are covered in the Body Electrical section of the service manuals, under Combination Meter.

Thanks Jon the problem is i dont have a 3.4w bulb or 3 1.5v cells.

You can check the resistance values on the sender with just a multimeter, that would be a simple test to see if it's the sender at fault.

Back