Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel Information on GXL

Robb4343

Country Flag
australia
We have just purchased a 2017 200 Series GXL Turbo-diesel and was surprised to find that we could not access information on fuel detail through the multi-functi0n screen, even though the owners manual showed how to access it. Unfortunately, the access was denied on our model. Is this correct or is there some sort of problem with the computer programme? The local dealer was amazed that it was not available on a $90,000+ vehicle when it is so common on $20,000 small cars. I would have thought that an acknowledged off-road vehicle like the Landcruiser would have this as a basic inclusion as the fuel consumption/distance to empty detail would be a major requisite for a 4WD vehicle in Australia where distances between fuel depots can be hundreds of kms apart. If it is not an ;included package in the GXL. is anyone aware if it can be added after-market?

We have just purchased a 2017 200 Series GXL Turbo-diesel and was surprised to find that we could not access information on fuel detail through the multi-functi0n screen, even though the owners manual showed how to access it. Unfortunately, the access was denied on our model. Is this correct or is there some sort of problem with the computer programme? The local dealer was amazed that it was not available on a $90,000+ vehicle when it is so common on $20,000 small cars. I would have thought that an acknowledged off-road vehicle like the Landcruiser would have this as a basic inclusion as the fuel consumption/distance to empty detail would be a major requisite for a 4WD vehicle in Australia where distances between fuel depots can be hundreds of kms apart. If it is not an ;included package in the GXL. is anyone aware if it can be added after-market?
Hi Robbo4343, How did you go with this issue? I have just purchased a 2017 GXL LC200 and noticed that it does not have the fuel consumption info as well. Feel a bit ripped off.

Hi Robbo4343, How did you go with this issue? I have just purchased a 2017 GXL LC200 and noticed that it does not have the fuel consumption info as well. Feel a bit ripped off.

Unfortunately, I have been told that this feature is not available on the GXL and cannot be added as an aftermarket addition. Like you, I feel that it should be a basic inclusion on such a high-priced vehicle. I believe that fuel consumption figures are available on the GXL covering a period of driving but this is not the information required when you need to know how far to empty. We have just returned from an 11,000 km trip through the Red Centre and nearly got caught out between fuel stations because the reserve warning light caught me by surprise by coming on halfway between 1/4 tank and empty marks on the gauge, meaning we only had about a 50 km range left, when towing our 2.3 tonne van. Fortunately, we just made it into Mount Isa with several litres to spare. If fuel consumption figures had been readily available on screen, I would have been more aware of the true fuel situation and topped up at Camooweal. The reserve warning light on our previous 100 Series Cruiser would activate when the fuel gauge went slightly past the empty mark. So it is a good idea to test out the fuel gauge accuracy before you head away from the larger cities. I was also a bit disappointed with the fuel consumption of the 200. The best we could get on our trip was 18.9 l/100km and worst 24.1 l/100km, whereas our 100 Series would consistently achieve 17-18 towing the same van, even though the advertised fuel consumption figure for the 200 at 9.4 l/100km was much better than the 10.7 l/100km for the 100. I was hoping that the better consumption of the 200 would translate to similar savings when towing the van. With only 19,000 k's on the clock, it may improve with time. We have been trying to keep fuel consumption as low as possible by endeavouring to keep the gearbox in 6th. gear as much as physically possible and it certainly was a chore, as the box seemed as if it wanted to hold 5th. most of the time. Apart from the fuel information/consumption issues, we are extremely pleased with the 200.

A scanguage should be able to do this, but will need resetting on each tank filLup
I use one on my hilux to tell me my mileage range after I fitted a long range tank
It plugs in OBDII port in cabin

Thanks for the information. That sounds like an excellent solution. I will investigate it.

Best regards,
Rob.

This sounds ridiculous. I've an LC4 120 and that doesn't come with a gauge (ridiculous on a c£40k car), but for the 200 not to have one is insane.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi,
I have had a response from another forum member regarding a solution to our problem, but it costs over $200 to purchase, however, it will supposedly do more than just fuel consumption, etc.

Google scanguage and see what you think. I will endeavour to follow up with Toyota Technical Department to see if software can be upgraded in our model and if so, what cost? If I get any satisfaction, I will be back in touch.
Best regards,
Rob.

This sounds ridiculous. I've an LC4 120 and that doesn't come with a gauge (ridiculous on a c£40k car), but for the 200 not to have one is insane.

I totally agree, particularly when these vehicles are used extensively in outback Australia, particularly those like us that are towing heavy off-road caravans and expect much heavier fuel consumption in such areas and long distances between refill points. Thanks for your thoughts.
Best regards,
Rob.

Ali express have some reasonably priced OBD2 computers, some of which look identical to the more expensive ones.

Back