Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel injector pump shaft key

haydenkay97

Country Flag
australia
Hi guys, needing some help. I recently changed my pump & after a day of driving It started to blow a lot of white smoke.
I took off the IP & noticed the key is snapped in half.
Is it possible to change the key? I was told that Toyota sells it & that it just pops out & pops in but I'm not to sure..
- Cheers!!

Yes IIRC it is a standard woodruff key, you can tap it out from the shaft.. The normal cause of this is the pulley nut working loose, or the cam belt has gone slack and there was valve piston contact and the cam belt stopped suddenly, I have also seen it happen when the vehicle is being tow started.

Note, if the pulley rotated enough there may be valve damage?

EDIT: Just looked in the FSM and it shows a dowel pin as opposed to a woodruff key, still replaceable.

1589726980919.png

regards

Dave

Last edited:
If the has broken, likely it has damaged the shaft or pully.

Very possible, what I was thinking is that as the pump is gear driven the injection timing should not have changed, so the white smoke would almost certainly be from the valve timing shifting a little? If it shifted a lot then..................

regards

Dave

Isn't the dowel in just to locate the pulley and the woodruff key locates the pump into the gear behind the cover.. for the dowel to fail then the 4 no bolts would have to have failed also?

@iwan_t24 good point, perhaps the OP is talking about a key way in the camshaft? The dowel sorts the timing issue for sure.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah that’s it ! Cheers.
Are they hard to change or do they just pop out and wedge back in?.

Sometimes they come out easily, a few taps with a small hammer will get them moving enough to get them out with pliers, but if it's broken, it might be more trouble. The new one should just tap in as long as the groove is ok, just get it as well seated (i.e. parallel to the shaft) as possible.

Did I have the wrong pic? If so apologies.

regards

Dave

Can you use a centre punch then very carefully drill into it with a small drill bit?

Looks really nasty job that... good luck..

Back