Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel Injectors HDJ 100 4.2 Diesel 2002

David Norman

Country Flag
great_britain
First Post , David Norman from Guernsey,UK
I have had from new a 2002 100 series Amazon 4.2 diesel with a 1 HD-FTE engine.
127,000 miles it has been the best car I have ever had and bullet proof until recent gremlin.

I have had a problem where one accelerates it feels as if the throttle sticks and as you push the throttle harder it smokes hard and then clears , very smoky and embarrassing. it happens between 1200 and 2200 rpm. Only when you are running and accelerate. It runs smooth at tick over and when you give it the beans it runs clean.

Main dealer fitted a new Turbo as they said that was the fault, it has made no difference.

I suspect it is the injectors, are they single or two stage in this engine.

They are Nippon Denso does anyone know where i can get these tested and serviced in the UK?

Or does anyone know where I can get new ones?

2 stage.
127 k miles is not much for the injectors in this engine, but it is a normal age for checking/servicing nozzles. Most injectors are not touched until 200 k miles tho'. Bad injectors can burn your pistons, so it could be good to have them checked. They are not that hard to get out, but make sure you have the right parts in stock for putting it together again. A few parts can absolutely not be reused.
There was a change in nozzles and opening pressures from Aug 2002 production (together with water cooled egr). The date is not the same for all markets, but it came togethe with water cooled egr-exhaust-return, and the 5-sp auto as well afaik.
Edit:
Have you checked fuel supply - tank-filter, and inlet ducts for egr-goo?

Thanks uHu.
Most of the 127 k miles is in Guernsey except for the odd holiday in UK or France. In Guernsey speed limit 35 mph so slow cool max 35mph and longest run 10 miles with a fair amount of traffic. So lots of cold running, in traffic, many gear changes, few hills and no mountains to work her hard. A tank of fuel lasts two weeks.
The fuel filter has been changed it was clean , I have tried injector cleaner.

Last edited:
Sounds like you might have an EGR clogged intake. For the possible fuel starvation, there's a filter in the tank which is known to give problems at this age. Access under the backseat.

I had the same trouble with mine, 100 series. Fitted replacement injectors fixed it. but mine has done 340000 miles and it runs sweet has a nut. best of luck.

The symptoms in mine are moving off from stopped the Amazon runs smoothly at tick over add a little bit of throttle it runs rough and smokes very badly until you boot it and it clears and runs smoothly

or you are running in traffic at slow speed and minimal load add a little bit of throttle it runs rough and smokes very badly until you boot it and it clears and runs smoothly.

Would an EGR problem have symptoms like this?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
First Post , David Norman from Guernsey,UK
I have had from new a 2002 100 series Amazon 4.2 diesel with a 1 HD-FTE engine.
127,000 miles it has been the best car I have ever had and bullet proof until recent gremlin.

I have had a problem where one accelerates it feels as if the throttle sticks and as you push the throttle harder it smokes hard and then clears , very smoky and embarrassing. it happens between 1200 and 2200 rpm. Only when you are running and accelerate. It runs smooth at tick over and when you give it the beans it runs clean.

Main dealer fitted a new Turbo as they said that was the fault, it has made no difference.

I suspect it is the injectors, are they single or two stage in this engine.

They are Nippon Denso does anyone know where i can get these tested and serviced in the UK?

Or does anyone know where I can get new ones?

Hi there I went through something not too dissimilar with mine for the last 4 months ,ok on tickover or low revs but no power and lots of smoke
I changed all sensors on vacuum etc plus injectors
Turn out to be the fuel filter , spurious
Changed for a Toyota one
All good now flying it .
Just try the easy stuff first

Problem solved.
The inlet manifold was gummed up with carbon also blocking the butterfly valves.

Who had the brilliant idea of recirculating a % of exhaust gasses through the inlet manifold??

Removed and cleaned by hand .

It was not Turbo which was OK. Does not appear to need injectors.

Too much slow running with a cold engine on short runs.

Now runs sweet as a nut.

Problem solved.
The inlet manifold was gummed up with carbon also blocking the butterfly valves.

Who had the brilliant idea of recirculating a % of exhaust gasses through the inlet manifold??

Removed and cleaned by hand .

It was not Turbo which was OK. Does not appear to need injectors.

Too much slow running with a cold engine on short runs.

Now runs sweet as a nut.
Makes a lot of sense. Quite the opposite of breathing it’s own waste, which I will never understand. Glad it’s sorted and thanks for the update.

Back