Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fuel Starvation issues

dave smith

Country Flag
england
After a long day keep pulling over on the motorway I have discovered a problem with the fuel system.

I have found that I keep needing to prime the filter at regular intervals, apart from the fuel pick up pipe from the tank corroding (my other collie did this) is there any other common issues to look for or should I bite the bullet and drop the tank as a first point of call.

Any suggestions would be greatly received.

Dave

could be! is it prudent to replace the lines front to back maybe? I did that on my Fourtrak which was the same vintage the issue with that was the pipe breaking up inside causing a blockage and complete stop.

Ive never had a fuel problem so never so much as checked the tank and I will be cursing myself when I end up taking a taxi home for the want of a tuppence worth of pipe :|

I was ready for putting it on ebay earlier and buying another Hilux. But it was not expensive to buy in the first place so spending a few quid on it is better than spending some serious cash on a different one and still having to spend on it. At least I know what has been replaced and don't need to worry about it for a while

If I could I'd buy a new 90 tomorrow I would , but because I can't I'm happy to replace everything one piece at a time , it helps knowing there isn't another vehicle out there I would rather own :icon-wink:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am going to take the tank of in the morning and investigate the pick up pipes then work forward from there. Another issue I discovered when spraying the buts in preparation for the tank removal is that one of the top link arms from the axle to the chassis has snapped off! I will need to repair this as well gutted I had heard a clunking noise and expected to find a knackered shocker or arb bush.

Took the tank off and the pickup pipe is corroded so a new one will arrive in the morning fingers crossed that will do the trick. I am trying to source a new axle I assume a petrol one will be ok as long as I swap the diff as I should think the ratio will be different? or if I buy a pair will it pull 33" tyres better I do a lot of towing?

Milner actually sell the whole back axle casing, new. You just swap your bits over.

I am trying to source a new axle I assume a petrol one will be ok as long as I swap the diff as I should think the ratio will be different? or if I buy a pair will it pull 33" tyres better I do a lot of towing?

I think the ratios are the same 4.3 :1
If there is any difference in the drivetrtain it is usually the shift points on the auto.

Last edited:
Back