Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Future Lincomb?

Surely being an unadvertised community event Lincomb could continue and it just needs someone to collect the cash ?

My first time i paid online , found the camp field , chose a spot then got up in the morning and sort of followed people i didn't know to the forest . Can't say i met anyone until the evening campfire .

Not to say i don't appreciate all the work that goes into cutting back the annual overgrowth obscuring tracks and filling stop dead with a crunch holes .............. just send karl first instead :lol:

Seriously though a responsible group most driving their pride and joy looks out for each other and the forest so bring a saw and go explore , most tracks are established so no need for new ones .

I have had a phone call from Tony this morning, not as a result of this thread as Tony hasn't been on the forum for a long time, We can no longer use the woods or farm track as he has had machinery in to grade the tracks for other plans that he's got.

So Lincomb as we know it has come to a close. He is more than happy for us to turn up for a pre organised social gathering but that would be confined to whichever field he wants us to camp in and no longer able to have a bit of a pootle in the woods or elsewhere.

Just to be clear, this decision isn't because of anything we have or haven't done, purely that his use of the land is changing and not compatible with the activities we had become used to.

And that is simply the nature of change isn't it. Things move on. We adapt and move on. we had some fantastic times there and we'll have fantastic times somewhere else. Look at how good Fake Lincomb has been.

Ah sign of the times business before pleasure priorities can only be respected :thumbup:

Well that is sad news, I have had some real good times at lincomb, going back to the old elco days , but as you say, things move on and we should be grateful for the times we’ve had there pootling about in the woods & I understand Tony’s decision, he is after all running a business there!

Grateful thanks to him for what we’ve had, and also to Trevor for his organising over the last few years.

I would attend a ‘social’ there, but the other option that Gav has suggested does sound good too, and seems like a good idea, sign me ( and sam) up!

thanks again trev, and please pass on m thanks to tony, and oh yes, I’ll be at fake lincomb too whenever that may be

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Personally I'm rather sad to see this come to an end, I think what the ELCO chaps started and others carried on way before I started as a newbie, gave people like me a safe and encouraging place to find our feet with all the terrain you could wish for on the doorstep, quite the legacy and I imagine very hard to replicate. There's no doubt that Lincomb was a very unique place, as Rodger said, not mucked about by the quarry bashers. What I particularly liked was it had a sense of being private, being "ours". Yes the social side can continue wherever we choose to gather and now the hunt to find something else. Tony has been a diamond to host for what must be over 15 years, no mean feat. Chris is spot on, change is inevitable and so onward to whatever we as a Club can carve out for the future. All I want to end on is that I think it would be great to try and meet up a bit more often each year, we have fake Lincombs at the pub, Adventure Overland shows, Gav's idea, still the offer of socials at Lincomb. I believe something a bit more Northern has been mooted as well maybe something a bit more South Coast. It'll be interesting to see what we can magic out of the hat.

Last edited:
The truth is the Lincomb never actually stood still itself. I started going relatively early under the days of ELCO as has been mentioned when JV used to run it and Tony was still in an 80. JW and Toby, Alan etc used to run day laning into Wales which was fantastic fun. Then we had the days of running the hog roasts for people who didn't want to cater themselves, and the burger van and of course the Adventure Scouts mess tent. Then the fun and games started with team events and finally the whole era of the punch challenges. So in truth Lincomb has never really been just one thing. What happens next is just another chapter in its long history. Don't think of it coming to an end.

Managed a couple of visits and was a great place to meet up with others.

There's always options for laning trips up this way. Always happy to help out with routes even if can't make it along myself.
Campsites tend to be a stumbling block for a big group but there's usually options, just takes a few phone calls.

Been planning a coast to coast that will go ahead in May. Have various lanes and routes for Yorkshire moors, Dales, Lake District and Peaks District.

Sadly only made it to one Lincomb meet but all these events big and small have given me a lot over the last few years and I would definitely be up for doing something up this way, especially after our little teaser in Lincolnshire back in September.

That was good Jacob, can you turn the wind off next time please?

We had some good times at Lincomb, but as many have said, things change and move on. Lincomb is a working farm and we are very lucky to have had the use of the site over the years.

I think the first time I visited Lincomb was September 2008. I had the white Colorado back then, very green in offorad driving and prepping for a trip to Morocco. Jon led a trip into Wales on the Saturday. It was a brilliant day. We did Strata and a couple of other lines. We spent Sunday on the farm tracks and in the woods. I remember the talk of the day was Rubie hill. We had a brilliant time, with many more Lincomb events to follow. As the club evolves, we look forward to other events both in other locations, and perhaps even social events at Lincomb.

In the meantime, a big thank you goes out to Tony and Becky for hosting us at Lincomb over the years.

Below are a few photos from September 2008.

DSC_6166.jpg

DSC_6220.jpg

DSC_6228.jpg

DSC_6237.jpg

DSC_6240.jpg

DSC_6242.jpg

DSC_6245.jpg

DSC_6247.jpg

DSC_6259.jpg

DSC_6275.jpg

DSC_6283.jpg

DSC_6286.jpg

Great to see Lil Blue in there.

Only been to a few, more of a newbie here. Many thanks to the club, the hosts and Trevor for being them together.

Hope to see everyone out and about soon.

Thanks, Trevor for "doing your time". Only made it to two events but loved every minute of it. Sad that it's the end of an era and sad that I couldn't have made more.

Hopefully, we can have more events arranged this year after being stuck inside for so long. Can't wait to meet everyone that's going to the Adventure show, would love to go to Bad Kissengen but thinking that's next years outing after "covid" has settled down.

Thank you for all the effort you have put in over the years Trevor, I've realised how long it is since I've been on the forum site!!
Hopefully will see you all soon at another event.

Back