Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Malfunction indicator lamp

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
page 167 in the owner's manual

MIL lamp is on sometimes,car will drive slowly,but worse uphill
just wondering whether to risk driving to my local garage or get recovered [towing's illegal in Portugal]

manual says; 'there's a problem in the engine electrical system,electronic engine control system or automatic transmission electrical system', but states you can drive carefully to the local dealer

any ideas lads?

cheers

page 167 in the owner's manual

MIL lamp is on sometimes,car will drive slowly,but worse uphill
just wondering whether to risk driving to my local garage or get recovered [towing's illegal in Portugal]

manual says; 'there's a problem in the engine electrical system,electronic engine control system or automatic transmission electrical system', but states you can drive carefully to the local dealer

any ideas lads?

cheers
If you have a scan tool or tec stream try scanning the engine to see what code the it gives out for what the problem is , if you dont have a scan tool etc , if you have a tuning chip I would try disconnecting it then disconnect the battery's for 5 minutes to see if the engine light stays off , you could try disconnecting the battery's first to clear the engine light that could stay off and car drive normal again coz it seems car is in limp mode , if nothing is found to work with the above I would still drive it to your local garage if the car is not making unpleasant mechanical noises , in many cases mil (engine) light is for emission control (pollution) faults and not a engine about to blow up fault ,

If you have a scan tool or tec stream try scanning the engine to see what code the it gives out for what the problem is , if you dont have a scan tool etc , if you have a tuning chip I would try disconnecting it then disconnect the battery's for 5 minutes to see if the engine light stays off , you could try disconnecting the battery's first to clear the engine light that could stay off and car drive normal again coz it seems car is in limp mode , if nothing is found to work with the above I would still drive it to your local garage if the car is not making unpleasant mechanical noises , in many cases mil (engine) light is for emission control (pollution) faults and not a engine about to blow up fault ,

thanks Tony
unplugged the Tunit chip,batteries off during breakfast
started as normal and the MIL has reset
going for a drive now to see if all's well
your post calmed me down,many thanks

thanks Tony
unplugged the Tunit chip,batteries off during breakfast
started as normal and the MIL has reset
going for a drive now to see if all's well
your post calmed me down,many thanks
The problem with many performance chips is when switched on towards max setting for more power the 20% +/_ leeway the ECU allows in less or more fuel to be entering before it switches on the mil light and put the engine in limp mode is triggered by the ECU when the the car is accelerating and that 20% leeway is exceeded . I installed a ozbush fuel mapper that allows you to turn the call for more fuel to upto 15% or even down _15% for bigger fuel saving when cruising on a less weight load of passengers or luggage , I keep mine on neutral setting as I only fitted it because it allows you to fit a full egr blanking plate with out getting a mil light on the dash which in turn with pvc pipe vented to a oil catch can then vented to air give more power 17 to 24 bhp at cruising speed due to no activation of the egr gas and crankcase gas entering the engine so just clean oxygen enters , but more important stops gunge building up in the inlet tract , also the engine oil stays as clean as a petrol engine , so once cleaned no more cleaning is necessary . all adds up to a much smoother engine and longer engine life for the owner .

If the mill light comes on without the tuning chip connected it could be a known common fault that the Turbo steppe motor electrical connections are dirty or loose , hope all is well .

all good Tony,drives great as it always used to
smoother,quieter but missing the performance,my Tunit chip was always turned to the max

thinking about getting my ECU remapped
what's your thoughts on that?

cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
all good Tony,drives great as it always used to
smoother,quieter but missing the performance,my Tunit chip was always turned to the max

thinking about getting my ECU remapped
what's your thoughts on that?

cheers
Having the ECU remapped is expensive and can have a bad effect on longevity and reliability of the engine due to the fact that because of the cost of remapping the ECU company's that do it feel they have to give a BHP hike big enough to justify the price , all at the expense of engine longevity , many problems like cracked pistons , noisy engines and mil engine lights sending the engine into limp mode sometimes when you floor the gas peddle , and shorter life span of the engine , I have what you call a manual mapper made by ozbush in Australia where Landcruisers sell in big numbers so the Aussies have a better understanding of what works in the long term with out shortening the life of the engine or its reliability , a manual mapper remaps the ECU with in the tolerance of ECUs % of allowance which is 20% + or _ difference , and at a cost of 200 AUs dollars is great value for money , takes no more than 10 minutes to connect up is adjustable with a turn dial for plus for more power or minus for better fuel economy and quieter engine , as well as can be switched off by a switch in 1 second without having to spend the 10 minutes to disconnect it , having the ECU remapped is none reversible unless you spend big money to have it reversed , a big plus for the ozbush system is it allows you to fully blank the EGR valve at the cylinder head with a blanking plate with out the ECU giving out a Mil engine warning light as it tells the ECU the EGR valve is working and correct and allowing exhaust gas in through the inlet to go back in the engine even though it is not doing so , but its all upto you how you want to go .

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Tony,great answer
i think i'll just stay standard,a bit slower acceleration,but i'll probably get there eventually

talked to an experienced local mechanic today,he said that 'chips' seem to have a life span of about five years
i've had mine for about 11 years so i've been lucky
it's now in the bin

thanks Tony,great answer
i think i'll just stay standard,a bit slower acceleration,but i'll probably get there eventually

talked to an experienced local mechanic today,he said that 'chips' seem to have a life span of about five years
it's now in the bin
Good thinking these cars are not meant to be sport SUVs they were made to be tough long life vehicles , adding chips to boost power at the expense of durability and reliability defeats the idea of what these trucks are about , sure BMW X5s etc are faster but when 5 years of more they are money pits such is the poor durability of such cars when a few years old .

Having the ECU remapped is expensive and can have a bad effect on longevity and reliability of the engine due to the fact that because of the cost of remapping the ECU company's that do it feel they have to give a BHP hike big enough to justify the price , all at the expense of engine longevity , many problems like cracked pistons , noisy engines and mil engine lights sending the engine into limp mode sometimes when you floor the gas peddle , and shorter life span of the engine , I have what you call a manual mapper made by ozbush in Australia where Landcruisers sell in big numbers so the Aussies have a better understanding of what works in the long term with out shortening the life of the engine or its reliability , a manual mapper remaps the ECU with in the tolerance of ECUs % of allowance which is 20% + or _ difference , and at a cost of 200 AUs dollars is great value for money , takes no more than 10 minutes to connect up is adjustable with a turn dial for plus for more power or minus for better fuel economy and quieter engine , as well as can be switched off by a switch in 1 second without having to spend the 10 minutes to disconnect it , having the ECU remapped is none reversible unless you spend big money to have it reversed , a big plus for the ozbush system is it allows you to fully blank the EGR valve at the cylinder head with a blanking plate with out the ECU giving out a Mil engine warning light as it tells the ECU the EGR valve is working and correct and allowing exhaust gas in through the inlet to go back in the engine even though it is not doing so , but its all upto you how you want to go .
thanks Tony,great answer

it's now in the bin

Hi Tony
where can i buy the Ozbush manual mapper you're using in your LCruiser?

i'm missing the economy and performance of my Tunit chip...

cheers

Hi you get them direct from Ozbush Electronics in Australia and cost about 200 Australian dollers (£100 stirling ) the beauty of the product is it turns off your EGR valve without you getting a engine light and is adjustable for more power or more economy or both by just being able to turn up the turbo boost when you put your foot down and running in economy mode under light load , even when turned up for max power it is still in the ecu parameter to not turn on engine light , look up Ozbush Electronics manual mapper on their website and get all the info you need aswell as fitting a EGR blanking plate easy and fast and venting the PCV to air more power in made in doing those mods as well .

As an aside to @TONYCY11 advice, the MIL light staying on is what most people see before there is a serious problem and you can continue to drive home or to the garage. On the other hand a flashing MIL light means shut down the engine. It normally follows cars that have petrol engines that are misfiring , it normally indicates unburnt fuel entering the catalytic converter, which can flood it and catch fire.

Only ever seen one catch fire in many years of being under the bonnet, but thought I would throw it out there anyway.

regards

Dave

Hi you get them direct from Ozbush Electronics in Australia and cost about 200 Australian dollers (£100 stirling ) the beauty of the product is it turns off your EGR valve without you getting a engine light and is adjustable for more power or more economy or both by just being able to turn up the turbo boost when you put your foot down and running in economy mode under light load , even when turned up for max power it is still in the ecu parameter to not turn on engine light , look up Ozbush Electronics manual mapper on their website and get all the info you need aswell as fitting a EGR blanking plate easy and fast and venting the PCV to air more power in made in doing those mods as well .
thanks again Tony
the TUNIT chip is alot more expensive as well...

what's 'venting the PCV' ?

Venting the PCV ( positive crankcase ventilation ) to air is the rocker cover ( camshaft cover ) has a rubber pipe outlet on the turbo side of the rocker cover , and has to allow the crankcase fumes and oil mist and pressure out so that it does not blow the seal ( rocker cover gasket ) and allow oil to leak out of the rockercover , if you follow the rubber pipe out of the rockercover turbo side you will see it is sucked in to the turbo engine inlet side joining the air from the air filter and going up to the intercooler to be burned off back in the engine , this PCV gas and oil mix is lacking of oxygen and is also quite hot so is robbing the engine of power it could be making if the engine was just getting fresh cool air rich in oxygen from only the air filter instead of it mixed with PCV gas and oil mist , its the oil mist together with the EGR exhaust soot as it mixes it makes carbon gunge that clings to the egr valve , throttle body and inlet manifold , blocking it all up and robbing the engine of its air ways , I direct the pipe instead of going to the turbo by piping it to a oil catch can then piped across the engine bay to the passenger side and the under the car to vent away from entering into the cars air vent and into the car so that I dont breathe it whilst I am driving , and blank off the pipe that goes to the turbo , look on ozbush website that explains how to do all this on their usefull information guide , its a easy step by step to do it as well as fitting a egr blanking plate with out dismantling parts of the engine , venting the PCV to air costs about £30 in parts ( oil catch can and 2 metres of silicone tubing off ebay ) . hope that explains your question in venting the PCV to air ,

excellent reply as usual Tony,thanks mate

i sent Ozbush an email yesterday to inquire about postage to the UK
it seems like they're selling well tested proven products

i cant wait to clean out all the crap that the EGR system generates and disable it for good...

When I bought mine from ozbush I was not sure if I had to pay import duty and/or VAT which also adds admin charges , I was living in the UK at the time I bought it in 2015 , I asked him to not put the invoice in the package and and put in a note saying it is an industrial free sample , and a label on the parcel saying the same . it avoids any duty to be paid and admin charges .

I ordered a pair of Pedders HD rear trailing arms from a Spanish agent, they arrived with the void bushes installed incorrectly, the only other sets in Europe were all the same....wrong! I guess the Covid-19 issue is preventing any others coming over for awhile? They do a have a set of the void bushes though, so they are sending them to me and I will have to press the wrongly fitted ones out and replace with new myself, at least it is getting around the problem which was getting a little heated with the agent.

regards

Dave

Venting the PCV ( positive crankcase ventilation ) to air is the rocker cover ( camshaft cover ) has a rubber pipe outlet on the turbo side of the rocker cover , and has to allow the crankcase fumes and oil mist and pressure out so that it does not blow the seal ( rocker cover gasket ) and allow oil to leak out of the rockercover , if you follow the rubber pipe out of the rockercover turbo side you will see it is sucked in to the turbo engine inlet side joining the air from the air filter and going up to the intercooler to be burned off back in the engine , this PCV gas and oil mix is lacking of oxygen and is also quite hot so is robbing the engine of power it could be making if the engine was just getting fresh cool air rich in oxygen from only the air filter instead of it mixed with PCV gas and oil mist , its the oil mist together with the EGR exhaust soot as it mixes it makes carbon gunge that clings to the egr valve , throttle body and inlet manifold , blocking it all up and robbing the engine of its air ways , I direct the pipe instead of going to the turbo by piping it to a oil catch can then piped across the engine bay to the passenger side and the under the car to vent away from entering into the cars air vent and into the car so that I dont breathe it whilst I am driving , and blank off the pipe that goes to the turbo , look on ozbush website that explains how to do all this on their usefull information guide , its a easy step by step to do it as well as fitting a egr blanking plate with out dismantling parts of the engine , venting the PCV to air costs about £30 in parts ( oil catch can and 2 metres of silicone tubing off ebay ) . hope that explains your question in venting the PCV to air ,
Tony
does it matter what type and what manufacturer for the 'oil catch can' ?
cheers

Hi
No it does not matter , you can get them from ebay for about £20 ali billit ones , but the pipe work that comes with them is naff , I got 2 metres of black silicone piping from ebay separately , if you are on whatsapp I can send you pics of how I have done mine as there is a few options on how to do the piping and to where . my number is 97859007 I dont remember if you have to put the Cyprus code in too , if you do its 00357 before the mobile number ,

Back