GDPR - what is it and how does it affect us

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Folks,

Some of you may know what GDPR is, what is means for consumers and what it means for websites and companies. This new EU law comes into effect on the 25th May 2018.

In a nutshell:
  1. Consumers have to opt-in to marketing or "non-contract" emails.
  2. Consumers should be able to easily opt-out of non-contract emails.
  3. Companies should not communicate to customers outside of what has been agreed.
  4. Companies should not retain personal information longer than is needed.
  5. Consumers should be able to request all information held by a company and
  6. Consumers should be able to request to have their data deleted.
There are a shed-load more points but frankly, they start getting a bit noisy.

The only two points which Land Cruiser Club currently does differently is point one and point four.

When you sign up you automatically get included in the Latest Posts emails which go out on a Saturday.
As of the 25th of May, new signups will not be automatically opted-in.

and

We do not delete inactive members' details. As of the 25th of May I will auto-delete members who have not logged in for a period of four years. This will be irreversible. Content that you posted will remain intact though as it forms a functional part of the website.

Consent:
By continuing to login to this website it's assumed that you've given consent to receive the current non-contact emails you currently do (currently limited to Weekly Digest). You can unsubscribe to this in the link in the footer.

Data removal:
As has always been the case, feel free to email me and request your account be deleted. At this point we will pseudonymise your personal details and render your account, along with it's personal details useless.
Your content remains intact and available for public display.

There is a whole raft of other stuff involved for companies (I have a team of 35 doing only GDPR related work at work) but for this website, it is quite a bit simpler.

If you have any questions feel free to reply or to email me directly.

I also work with GDPR, along with other stuff, and I like the uncomplicated approach you have.
Keep up the good work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Crispin. I was eagerly (sorry, not really) awaiting this post.

My guess is this will not touch those that cold call telling the elderly they have a computer problem etc but make life just that bit more difficult for the rest of us.

What a monumental PITA for no good reason.

I looked at four pages of “advice” and got nothing whatsoever useful from any of them.

I also work with GDPR, along with other stuff, and I like the uncomplicated approach you have.
Keep up the good work.

As do I (among other things). Just a lovely compliance (or lack of compliance) report to the business. :tongueclosed:

Thanks Crispin. I was eagerly (sorry, not really) awaiting this post.

My guess is this will not touch those that cold call telling the elderly they have a computer problem etc but make life just that bit more difficult for the rest of us.

What a monumental PITA for no good reason.

I looked at four pages of “advice” and got nothing whatsoever useful from any of them.
Folks,

Some of you may know what GDPR is, what is means for consumers and what it means for websites and companies. This new EU law comes into effect on the 25th May 2018.

In a nutshell:
  3. Companies should not communicate to customers outside of what has been agreed.

The only two points which Land Cruiser Club currently does differently is point one and point four.

When you sign up you automatically get included in the Latest Posts emails which go out on a Saturday.

and

We do not delete inactive members' details. As of the 25th of May I will auto-delete members who have not logged in for a period of four years. This will be irreversible. Content that you posted will remain intact though as it forms a functional part of the website.

Consent:
By continuing to login to this website it's assumed that you've given consent to receive the current non-contact emails you currently do (currently limited to Weekly Digest). You can unsubscribe to this in the link in the footer.

Data removal:
As has always been the case, feel free to email me and request your account be deleted. At this point we will pseudonymise your personal details and render your account, along with it's personal details useless.

There is a whole raft of other stuff involved for companies (I have a team of 35 doing only GDPR related work at work) but for this website, it is quite a bit simpler.

No, the unscrupulous will remain such. It will affect a lot of companies in a negative way (us for example) because, while we do market to customers, we do not abuse it. We, in fairness, like a lot of other companies, do unsubscribe when we're asked to. Those that don't are unlikely to have a change of heart with GDPR....

Where it does improve things - for me as a consumer - is asking for my data to be deleted. So many large breaches have surfaced my data out there. Hopefully this will go some way towards reducing that...Horse, barn doors and bolted come to mind though :(

Hey ho, it's another compliance thing which keeps us employed :)

I'm waiting for it to hit us, I think the powers at where I'm working has it under control as I've not heard much but then we deal mostly with OS and system maintenance and not the data which makes it easier for us.
I do feel that in a way it's good and gives the consumer some control back but it won't do much to stop the nasty people out there.
It will go the same way as PCI compliance, at first it was a real pain and to some extent the audit still is, specially when an auditor doesn't understand a simple thing such as SSH key authentication but having had to build countless PCI compliant systems i can see the benefits of having such a standard.

Folks,

In a nutshell:

and

Consent:

Data removal:

Cruisers Rule good post

Is this another Yes Minister boondoggle? Where the cost of compliance exceeds the value of the benefit? o_O

I work in the letting industry and GDPR is (about to be) doing my head in. We keep getting told about it left right and centre but I still can't quite get my head round the intricacies of some of the bits of it and how it applies to us...

I think this is another opportunity to give @Crispin another round of applause for looking after our unique opportunity to share info and our experiences, jokes and nonsense on this great forum, and protecting us from robots, malicious users and the low life that’s out here..

Thanks again Cris... :clap::clap::clap:

Back