Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gear Lever Rattle

After a number of days on top of a radiator I think that it's done as much drying as it's going to do so I fitted it all back together yesterday & poped out for a drive :thumbup: Although there is still some slop in the the stick it is far less than before but more importantly there's no rattle :dance: :dance: :D So worth doing in the end :thumbup:

P9090424.jpg

sae70 said:
Although there is still some slop in the the stick it is far less than before but more importantly there's no rattle

:dance: :dance: :dance:

"I love it when a plan comes together".

:lol:

Bob.

Good to hear you managed to get it back together without the rattle Steven.
Thank god it isn't your daily driver :D

Hi guys I know this is an old thread but just wondering if there is a clipping mechanism for the gear stick gaiter mine just sits on top. Lift it up and I can see whats shown in the first picture.. Is there anything that holds gaiter in place? Thanks dave

Welcome back Steven, good to see you posting again :thumbup:

I think you will find this is an old thread of Steven's resurrected Clive the pics are of his old truck Fiery and the last we heard from him she had been sold on in favour of the green D4D Swampy . I do miss his pictured packed tutorial like threads and i hope he and the boys are doing well .

As far as the gator clips go Deece it's been asked before and nobody then had anything holding the gator in place so it remains a mystery .

It annoyed me so i bodged a fixed for mine that should be found somewhere in here https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/bodge-of-the-day.142497/

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not as neat as Shayne's but I drilled four tiny holes in the plastic surround (one at each corner) and stitched the gaitor in place. Strong black thread going around the wire ring on the base of the gaitor, not too many turns and not too tight. Almost invisible. Unclip the surround first unless you're an expert seamstress! There were originally flimsy lugs moulded onto the bottom of the plastic surround that located the wire ring of the gaitor underneath but mine (and it sounds like everyone else's) had snapped off and disappeared without a trace.

Regards the original post, I fixed my own gearstick rattle by following sae70's fix on this thread (many thanks). I drilled one hole and pumped in two-pack rubber solution (advertised on Ebay as 'suitable for making polybushes' and reasonably cheap). It dried rock solid in less than 24hrs, and it might have been quicker had I not got the ratio of solution to hardener a bit wrong.

Yesterday I joined the exclusive club of Prado/Colarafo gear lever Rattlers! So apologies for reserecting this thread.

Firstly, and new ideas on this?

Secondly, I have a mate who turns polycarb bushes on a lathe...do we have any dimensions of the bush we need? Maybe I could get several made?

It doesn't work like that unfortunately. It's not possible to take the gearstick apart to get at the 'bush', hence the various bodges (ahem, 'creative solutions'). Mine has never been a problem since - getting on for three years judging by my last post above.

Drilled 2 holes in mine and used a nut and bolt in each. Worked a treat

Last edited:
Had a look at mine last night. It looks like the previous owner has had a go at fixing the problem by welding two little bars at the side!
gear.jpg

Not sure where to go from here???

Had a look at mine last night. It looks like the previous owner has had a go at fixing the problem by welding two little bars at the side!
View attachment 155697

Not sure where to go from here???
Geoff you could try drilling a couple of holes and squirt in some liquid weld epoxy resin , will set fast and hard .

Yeah Tony thanks, that is what I plan to do - just gotta try and find it in Cyprus!! If not eBlag UK!
Try super homes or Kleima or dont they have them in Paphos , you could try any good hardware store .

Thanks Mark. When I took my gear lever out I found some previous owner had already" drilled and filled" in an attempt to stop the rattle - as well as weld the two pieces as shown in my earlier (33) post above. Well I just drilled and bolted and the problem is solved! Those two pieces of metal in the pic (33) when I got the lever out they had both cracked! I guess this is when my own rattle started.

Whilst I had the lever out, I thought it might be a good idea to replace the "shifter sheet" as they call them in Suzuki speak. It is the rubber cup/bush that the lever sits in. Well I searched for part numbers etc, in Australia a copy of good repute was found to be 8 dollars. I went to my main stealer in Paphos and was quoted just short of 40 Euros!!!! WEll it didn't really need doing so I passed on their offer!

Last edited:
Yes i recently fixed my stick wobble i took it out and put it in a vise and drilled some of the plastic bush out where i could get the drill bit between the retaining clip also drilled a fre 4 mm holes up the stick a little and filled it with sikaflex 227black pannel bond its tougher than silicone and once dry is toug as rubber

Back