Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gear shift indicator bulb

Jacob100

Supporter
I need to replace the bulb that lights up the gear selector on my ‘98 100. Does anyone know which one to get before I start to take things apart? The official Toyota Position Indicator bulb is part number 90981-11018 but I was hoping to find something locally.

I need to replace the bulb that lights up the gear selector on my ‘98 100. Does anyone know which one to get before I start to take things apart? The official Toyota Position Indicator bulb is part number 90981-11018 but I was hoping to find something locally.
Apparently it's the same as your glove box bulb pn 90981-11018, if your gear selector is green then you might have to reuse the little green cover, the bulbs are readily available, from Holfords type places or you local motor factor, 12v 1.4w capless, I think you might be able to use 1.2w as well.

Easy to remove the glove box bulb and use as pattern to show the man. Oop's, sales person, note to self, I must remember to be more PC

Hope this helps.

Keep on Trucking, Man, person.

9098111018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hello everyone. i have eruopean version of LC100 and when i tried to change instument panel lights there are only 5 replaceable bulbs but other bulbs are tiny led lights attached to the panel...how to chan ge or fix burnt lights. i have several lights not working
FB_IMG_1581352356073.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hello everyone. i have eruopean version of LC100 and when i tried to change instument panel lights there are only 5 replaceable bulbs but other bulbs are tiny led lights attached to the panel...how to chan ge or fix burnt lights. i have several lights not working View attachment 163854
I don't think, the LED's were designed to be changed (but I'm not 100% sure) looks like the LED's are soldered on the PCB, you'd probably be better off sourcing a used panel, whatever you do, be very careful, that instrument panel is very expensive to replace new.

I hope someone knows better than me.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bovka, what's your model? Year and UZJ, HZJ or HDJ.
I suppose that if the leds are soldered directly onto the PCB, that's what you have to do as well, to change them. After checking that they do get voltage.

thanks guys. mine is general countries model UZJ100L VX Limited.can it be done by replacing or soldering those tiny leds ? (by the way ignore the country flag on my profile as i do not live there)

thanks guys. mine is general countries model UZJ100L VX Limited.can it be done by replacing or soldering those tiny leds ? (by the way ignore the country flag on my profile as i do not live there)
I would think it can be done, as long as you can find the LED's and have the skills, and a steady hand.:)

Hope you get it sorted.

P.S I can tell your not Irish by you accent. :laughing-rolling:

What's the year then, or rather: is it the updated optitron instruments, or the old good one. I think the change came from August 2002 production. Afaik there's a big difference in the instrument pcb between the old and the new. I think that with all the LEDs, yours must be the new version.

hello everyone. i have eruopean version of LC100 and when i tried to change instument panel lights there are only 5 replaceable bulbs but other bulbs are tiny led lights attached to the panel...how to chan ge or fix burnt lights. i have several lights not working View attachment 163854
Hi @Bovka, found this web site for you, it might be of some help.

https://toyota.7zap.com/en/eu/land+cruiser/791550/hdj100r-gnpezw/4/8301/830647b/#83242

hey everyone just an update: apparently changing tiny leds on the board is an easy thing for someone who do soldering. managed to find someone who changed tested and replaced all the leds using cheap chinese leds. it is much brighter now. me and him had minor issues when we re assembled the needles back but fixed it after watching on youtube. taking a picture of the illuminating bulbs before taking it apart fixed confusion when we put back the needles. mine has digital odometer and the main thing is connect the gauge without front glass part and turn the key to on position then put back the needles otherwise needles wouldnt work properly. hope it will help someone in the future and most importantly thanks everyone for their advice :)

hey everyone just an update: apparently changing tiny leds on the board is an easy thing for someone who do soldering. managed to find someone who changed tested and replaced all the leds using cheap chinese leds. it is much brighter now. me and him had minor issues when we re assembled the needles back but fixed it after watching on youtube. taking a picture of the illuminating bulbs before taking it apart fixed confusion when we put back the needles. mine has digital odometer and the main thing is connect the gauge without front glass part and turn the key to on position then put back the needles otherwise needles wouldnt work properly. hope it will help someone in the future and most importantly thanks everyone for their advice :)
Well done.

Back