Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gearbox oil specification

Nick Sabrazat

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Can anybody recommend a grade oil manual transmission oil for my HJ60?

The Toyota service/workshop manual only specifies "GL4 or GL5".

Same question goes for the transfer box and differentials as the service manual is being equally vague on those too.

Many thanks,

Nick.

Im surprised a gl5 is mentioned for the trans. As far as i know the EP additive content is too high for yellow metals found in a old gearbox. I played it safe on my 80 and use a fully synthetic oil that states safe for use with phosphor bronze etc.

The issue recently reared its head again with another vehicle. The handbook states 80/90 gear oil for the trans, then specifies 80/90 hypoid gear oil for the diffs...

Mmm ok. I was going to play it safe and use Castrol mineral EP 80W90 GL-4 for both the transfer box and the gearbox, just because I have a few litres of that stuff on shelf already.
Any reason why this wouldn't work?

I have also some Comma EP 75W80 but I thought the Castrol was probably more suited.

Nick.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In the diffs on a 60 I use EP 90 but 80/90 will do the job fine as long as its EP. On a keeper I would use fully synthetic 80 gear oil ( not EP) as it gives a smoother change and good lubrication properties. For transfer box again I'd use fully synthetic gear oil but its not critical.

I use 75w/90 synth oil in all my drive line on the 100 not fussy about the brand but swap it annually which is around 25k miles.

Thanks chaps for the recommendations.
I'll be looking to change the transmission fluids this weekend. :thumbup:

Nick.

Transmission fluids replaced over the weekend.
Interestingly, while I managed to drain the expected nearly 5 litres from the gearbox, only 750ml came out of the transfer case.
The maintenance manual specifies over 2 litre capacity for the TC and it took 2.3 litres on refill before it started pouring out from the refill plug.
The work was done on level ground so am I missing a trick here? Or was it running dangerously low? :confused:

Nick

If your on level ground and fluid is coming out of the refill plug all is good. Although not being familiar with the 60 series im presuming the refill is also level plug..
if it was low there could be a leak from the drain plug or a gasket. Something to keep an eye on.

Although not being familiar with the 60 series im presuming the refill is also level plug.

That's what the maintenance manual is suggesting.
There was trace of a small leak from the drain plug and also from the propshaft seal, but nothing severe and I never noticed trace of oil on the floor.

So as said, I will have to keep an eye on this.

Transmission fluids replaced over the weekend.
Interestingly, while I managed to drain the expected nearly 5 litres from the gearbox, only 750ml came out of the transfer case.
The maintenance manual specifies over 2 litre capacity for the TC and it took 2.3 litres on refill before it started pouring out from the refill plug.
The work was done on level ground so am I missing a trick here? Or was it running dangerously low? :confused:

Nick
yep, that's low!! It is a level fill, you should be able to finger should be moist when you stick it in the hole!!
I have the opposite problem, my tranny is filling itself up with gearbox oil! there's a seal between the 2 that I guess has failed

I have the opposite problem, my tranny is filling itself up with gearbox oil! there's a seal between the 2 that I guess has failed
Yes, this used to happen on my 60 Moggy before the boxes were overhauled. Now both levels are steady and dont need topping up at all.

Yes, this used to happen on my 60 Moggy before the boxes were overhauled. Now both levels are steady and dont need topping up at all.
It’s on the list! I’m actually going to be replacing them with a unit from Andy lomas at some point as my transfer box is shagged. The front axle also needs all the seals doing so when I have the pennies it’s going to Julian voelecker to get it all done at once.

Back