Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

General Grabber AT2 tyre wear

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I had General Grabber AT2 tyres fitted to my landcruiser just over 18months ago.
They are 225/75R16 - so narrower than most colorado tyres, since i have the base model with 6" wide-alloys.

I never replaced the worn spare road tyre that was on the back when i changed the 4 road wheels, but i did this on christmas eve when i was getting a puncture repaired on one of the snow tyres off the subaru.

The new GG AT2 tyre has 14mm tread depth. The 18month old ones have worn down to about 10mm,
so thats 4mm wear in 18 months, and more importantly about 10k miles !! seems a lot,
at this rate they will only last another 20k miles, 30k total.

tyre pressure is about 33-35psi

I am sure i have read of people getting a lot more mileage out of AT2

I am wondering if the skinnier tyres 225 i have will wear faster than fatter 265 tyres?

AndyCook said:
I am wondering if the skinnier tyres 225 i have will wear faster than fatter 265 tyres?
I think they probably will, less contact patch doing the same job?

Hi Andy,

Thats a lot of wear in just 18 months, and 10k miles.
I can understand the comments on the narrower tyre, doing more work as a wider one, but still, , , ,
Thats excessive wear.

Are you measure correct ?

14 mm then down to 10 mm, tracking OK ?
Are you carrying any addtional, non required weight?

Graham
BFG A/T

That is a lot of wear, both of our 90's have AT2's on them. Standard size 265/70/16.

The oldest set have 55000 miles on them and have 8mm left on them, and the newer set have around 15000 miles on them and still have 13mm left.

yes - carry extra weight, winch, rocksliders, underbody plates, recovery gear
as for "not required weight" - well, generally the recovery gear not required.... but the day i leave it at home.. i will need it!
and have used the gear a few times, when went out thinking i wouldnt need it!

maybe i need to drive a bit slower on the twisty roads!

Back