Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

General Grabber AT2's

Kevin
I think 2 spares are the norm
Had you thought of taking snow chains for the worst mud?

ignat said:
You taking 1 spare or 2?

TBH i have no worries about getting stuck with them as they work lovely on a 90.

Other reason i went for the same again is that i can take Claire's spare as well meaning i'm taking 6 brand new tyres with me...

Tommo&Claire said:
Because of the short notice of this trip, it was going to be next year
When are you off on the trip Tommo?

Gavlad said:
When are you off on the trip Tommo?

Ferry leaves Porstmouth 1st Oct 2300hrs arrive in Santander 30 hours later and then take 24 hours to drive down to Gibraltar. We then cross into Morocco onthe 4th and return on the 17th. Back in UK by 20th

Tommo, have you got waffle boards/ sand ladders? You are more than welcome to borrow mine if you need them?

Julian said:
Kevin
I think 2 spares are the norm
Had you thought of taking snow chains for the worst mud?

Yes I'm planning on 2 as well. Not got around to getting the 2nd yet though! Not sure if I should have the 6th mounted on a rim or not. I am contemplating 6 steel rims - have 5 alloys now.

Actually I hadnt thought of snow chains! They effective in mud? Original plan was to miss the rainy season in central africa but we might be hitting some mud if we leave early

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Julian said:
Tommo, have you got waffle boards/ sand ladders? You are more than welcome to borrow mine if you need them?

I havent no, that would be very kind mate if you dont mind.

Of course you can they are only stood in the garden, I got them from Devon 4x4 before I went, 50mm thick ones. We should have plenty of time to get them to you, when are you next going to Lillys, I am just round the corner
Out of the group I went with we all bought some, and none of us used them. I am sure it is one of those things that if you take them you don't need them

Julian said:
Of course you can they are only stood in the garden, I got them from Devon 4x4 before I went, 50mm thick ones. We should have plenty of time to get them to you, when are you next going to Lillys, I am just round the corner
Out of the group I went with we all bought some, and none of us used them. I am sure it is one of those things that if you take them you don't need them

I can pick them up whenever is easiest for you mate. i'm sat at home this week and then i fly to the Falkland Islands for a fortnight on sunday (daytime highs of -3degrees)!

ignat said:
Actually I hadnt thought of snow chains! They effective in mud? Original plan was to miss the rainy season in central africa but we might be hitting some mud if we leave early

They are awesome in really gloppy mud, slower speeds only. I think they are better than pretty much all the Mud Terrains

Tommo&Claire said:
I can pick them up whenever is easiest for you mate. i'm sat at home this week and then i fly to the Falkland Islands for a fortnight on sunday (daytime highs of -3degrees)!

Would be better for me after your back, hectic week

Nice bit of contrast for you, Falklands then the Sahara

I'm leaving August 1st to Morocco. Just put brand new BFGs on the 80. Because of space limitations I'm taking 1 spare wheel and tye and an additonal tyre not on a rim. My thinking being that if we get a puncture we can put the spare wheel and tyre on and as the next available chance get the spare tyre fitted to the spare rim.

Will hopefully have some nice photos for you when I return! Also need some club stickers before we go!

Julian said:
Tommo&Claire said:

Would be better for me after your back, hectic week

Nice bit of contrast for you, Falklands then the Sahara

Yeah story of my life!

No rush mate, i'll drop you a line on my return.

Thanks again for the offer.

Tommo&Claire said:
So, how rough is the terrain???
Typical Western Sahara terrain, but in some places the rocks were much larger :shock: but you can see there's a mixture of sand and rock.
RocksandSand.jpg

Chas
PS
That's my truck in the foreground :cool:

Attachments

• RocksandSand.jpg
    RocksandSand.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 66
James Rothwell said:
I'm leaving August 1st to Morocco. Just put brand new BFGs on the 80. Because of space limitations I'm taking 1 spare wheel and tye and an additonal tyre not on a rim. My thinking being that if we get a puncture we can put the spare wheel and tyre on and as the next available chance get the spare tyre fitted to the spare rim.

Will hopefully have some nice photos for you when I return! Also need some club stickers before we go!

James, another thing I learnt from Mr Sheppard, was that in high summer in the desert you get no shadows and very little contrast in light. This means that whilst driving you will find it very difficult to see what is directly in front of you. What he does is fix a mirror to the top of the windscreen area to shine a reflection in front of the car, giving a white dot on the sand. If the dot disappears you are driving towards a gully or off a dune, and if it suddenly goes up you are heading towards a dune, top tip I reckon

Julian said:
If the dot disappears you are driving towards a gully or off a dune, and if it suddenly goes up you are heading towards a dune, top tip I reckon

Christ on a bike!

Let someone else take point!

Julian said:
James, another thing I learnt from Mr Sheppard, was that in high summer in the desert you get no shadows and very little contrast in light. This means that whilst driving you will find it very difficult to see what is directly in front of you. What he does is fix a mirror to the top of the windscreen area to shine a reflection in front of the car, giving a white dot on the sand. If the dot disappears you are driving towards a gully or off a dune, and if it suddenly goes up you are heading towards a dune, top tip I reckon
That is a brilliant :roll: idea, I shall remember that if I go again. Did Mr Sheppard mention a size of mirror to use?
Chas

Tommo&Claire said:
Julian said:
If the dot disappears you are driving towards a gully or off a dune, and if it suddenly goes up you are heading towards a dune, top tip I reckon

Christ on a bike!

Let someone else take point!
Damn right!!!

I did have a couple of close calls last trip, driving along a sand river at about 60mph ish only to find a 6' dune across the trail. I was approaching from the steep side and basically the car felt like it had run into a wall, lucky the air bags didn't go off

Back