Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting bored now. Warning, patio content.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
IMG_20190715_105314.jpg

:violin:

Do like that there wall Mike, take good care of that matey:lol:

Slabbing looks nice as well, I must say... how’s yer back?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got to be a master craftsman at work do like the way time and effort you put into cutting in those slabs

Scribing in is easier on timber eh Mike. :lol:
Are you going to use one of the resin mortar jointing compounds? Seems the way to go for me.

Is that Indian stone btw?

Looks great.

Are you going to use one of the resin mortar jointing compounds? Seems the way to go for me.

That profiling job is either the work of a pro or a man with lots of time on his hands:icon-biggrin::thumbup:

Just used some if that resin patio grout to revitalize our’s which has been down 30 odd years. Not particularly cheap but does a great job.

That profiling job is either the work of a pro or a man with lots of time on his hands:icon-biggrin::thumbup:
I think it may be the work of a chippy who just can’t do a proper job without scribing in at the edges. :)

ha ha.
some great comments, and thanks for the compliments.
that wall? ive grown to loath it.. my back is in several pieces. the slabs are 3x 2 and pretty heavy. there is also no access to the back so everything has come through the house. morter in buckets..

BBQ? you sound like the missus clive. can I at least finish the job?:)

yes, ill be using the resin. quicker and a far better job. its indian stone. raj green. apparently..

I can promise you I havnt got plenty of time on my hands TP!:)

I think it may be the work of a chippy who just can’t do a proper job without scribing in at the edges. :)

you know me to well rich..:)

ha ha.
some great comments, and thanks for the compliments.
that wall? ive grown to loath it.. my back is in several pieces. the slabs are 3x 2 and pretty heavy. there is also no access to the back so everything has come through the house. morter in buckets..

BBQ? you sound like the missus clive. can I at least finish the job?:)

yes, ill be using the resin. quicker and a far better job. its indian stone. raj green. apparently..

I can promise you I havnt got plenty of time on my hands TP!:)

you know me to well rich..:)
We built heaps of rock walls as our land is steep in places but my darling wife
Was pitching in and working alongside me all the way.We both have steelworks in our backs but when you need to do things like other folks
You Just Do It.

Dunno how you can dislike that wall, it’s got character and looks very nicely established.

Looks even better with brand new stonework alongside it for contrast.

My problem is always that what I do looks ‘new’ when I want it to look old from the onset.

I once approached an architect to design a house for me. The first thing I said to him was I’m going to be a difficult customer, so listen to me closely. I want you to design for me an old house for our plot out in the country. If necessary, go to the area and photograph all the old established houses there, and I’ll tell you the sort of features to incorporate into the design. I want wood, loads of it and no plastic double glazing or such-like.

6 weeks later he showed me sketches, and I don’t think he’d left his office once. It was a modern, all double-glazed glass everywhere with triangular windows, boasting high insulation figures, and modern materials, not a scrap of wood or local styling anywhere.

It would have fitted in well on a plot in the city, but not in our countryside orchard plot. I paid him off and told him to forget it. I still have the plans... but it will never be built.

Dunno how you can dislike that wall, it’s got character and looks very nicely established.

Looks even better with brand new stonework alongside it for contrast.

My problem is always that what I do looks ‘new’ when I want it to look old from the onset.

I once approached an architect to design a house for me. The first thing I said to him was I’m going to be a difficult customer, so listen to me closely. I want you to design for me an old house for our plot out in the country. If necessary, go to the area and photograph all the old established houses there, and I’ll tell you the sort of features to incorporate into the design. I want wood, loads of it and no plastic double glazing or such-like.

6 weeks later he showed me sketches, and I don’t think he’d left his office once. It was a modern, all double-glazed glass everywhere with triangular windows, boasting high insulation figures, and modern materials, not a scrap of wood or local styling anywhere.

It would have fitted in well on a plot in the city, but not in our countryside orchard plot. I paid him off and told him to forget it. I still have the plans... but it will never be built.
I like how it looks Clive. Just not the pain it's caused me..

I’m told spraying cow poo or yoghurt on stonework causes it to look more aged and blend in. Not sure if this works over Thompson’s water seal though.

I’m told spraying cow poo or yoghurt on stonework causes it to look more aged and blend in. Not sure if this works over Thompson’s water seal though.
We've brushed yoghurt into new stone cills and lintels before when replacing concrete lintels in old stone cottages.
It quickly encourages mould growth.
Cow poo used to be used on stone buildings in the hills to reduce the porosity of the stone. Again by encouraging mould and moss growth.

I don’t mind the newness of the patio Rich, I want to keep that clean anyway, but other border retaining walls and such like will look better when established IMO

Back