Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Good evening from Sunny Scotland.

Rolexroz

Country Flag
scotland
Good evening and thanks for letting me join your site.

At present I am unlucky enough to have a 22 year old Land Rover Discovery 300 tdi, which runs a treat on probably quite poor quality, home made bio. But it is a Land Rover and as such it rusts faster than it can accelerate.

So, having listened to the mechanics in my local garage, I have taken their advice and am now looking to change from my chosen Land Rovers to a Toyota Landcruiser.

The vehicle will be my everyday transport and as such I would like it to be as modern and in as great condition as possible. From what I have read so far it would appear that I am probably limited to a pre 2000 LC 90/95 with the 1KZ-TE engine. This would appear to be the right size for daily use, the Amazon models being overly large for normal useage, and far less likely to fall apart than anything from Solihull.

All of the foregoing being correct, I am then faced with the choice of Prado or Colorado. I was worried that the Prado would be imported without any underseal and would rust as quickly as any Land Rover, but apparently most are treated with waxoil etc as soon as they come to the UK. Even better the Prado has a LSD. I do not go offroad often, but when I do, it is into the woods with a trailer to collect wood for our fire, and as the trailer can hold more than a ton at a time, I would want to have as much grip as possible.

I therefore turned to the internet based selling sites, Gumtree, Ebay, Pistonheads, Facebook, Autotrader etc etc etc. But with little success so far.

I was wondering if there are any well respected, reputable, UK sites where I can purchase an imported vehicle. I have raked about the net but so far have only found companies based in Japan who will buy on my behalf and then send the vehicle to the UK. This sounds like a step too far.

Alternatively can anyone suggest where I should be looking to pick up a used Land Cruiser?

Many thanks, Rod

I don't understand the rationalisation around why you want something pre 2000? The 120 isn't larger than the 95's is it? And the 150 seems about the same size as the 120, and is still sold today by Toyota in the UK

Thanks to one and all for advice and suggestions. As luck would have it after looking at several vehicles more than 400 miles from here, I have now bought what I consider to be a beauty and it was less than an hour from here. It is a 1996 Prado 3 door with the 1kz-te engine and auto box. It is not perfect but very close.

The main fault is that the steering wheel is not good and a change of wheel (with airbag) would probably help things no end. Is there an easy fix, can I replace the wheel from another Toyota in plentiful supply or do I need to go to the chap in Wales and get it recovered.

I am now also looking for proper hard plastic floor mats to catch any mud from my boots, a load cover for inside the boot area and also a heavy duty loadliner for the boot area, again to keep any mess to a minimum.

And finally....

As I run on bio all year round, in this frozen wasteland of Northern Britain, I am wondering if it possible to retro fit a heated fuel filter to my new pride and joy. I have had a look at the wiring in the engine bay and have found what looks to me like a plug in connection in the area of the fuel filter which has black and white wires attached.

Obviously, any hints tips and pointers regarding anyof the above would be beyond helpful, thanks.

I sincerely hope I have not asked all the standard "new boy" questions, but if I have I can only apologise for not finding the answers to my queries.

Many thanks.

welcome .

You wont need a heated filter to run bio just put anti wax addertive into the fuel.
If when you say bio you mean cooking oil then a filter would help but a twin tank system would be safer.

I really do mean 100% bio (eco friendly) but I am also aware that with a bit of heat the bio becomes noticeably thinner. This must be better for the flow rate and if this can be created by the simple expedient of fitting a (probably Toyota made) winter fuel kit to the filter then I am all for one.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I really do mean 100% bio (eco friendly) but I am also aware that with a bit of heat the bio becomes noticeably thinner. This must be better for the flow rate and if this can be created by the simple expedient of fitting a (probably Toyota made) winter fuel kit to the filter then I am all for one.
welcome aboard.
sounds like you know your stuff.
im not familiar with your vehicle but a lot of uk 80s have the fuel filter fuel heater element. if you have the wiring there it would be easy to fit a heater element primer pump.(if you don't have it already). is there a relay in the engine bay fuse box labeled "fuel heater"?

Back