Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Got a 120 itch.

Steve H

Country Flag
uk
Hi. I currently drive a 1998 Colorado as a daily driver. It does everything I want(towing my caravan, etc) but I am retiring next year and I am thinking of upgrading to a 120. I know these are getting on a bit but I am thinking of getting a more comfortable, slightly modern drive. I am looking at the LC4 orLC5 models at the moment. Is it worth the upgrade to the 120? Would the LC% be better for towing with its air suspension? I am not too worried about maintenance as I keep my Collie serviced and up together myself and you guys are here if I get stuck :thumbup:. The other alternative is another make altogether( must admit I quite like the Ssangyong Rexton as well). Your thoughts?

The 120 is a nice upgrade from the Colorado, if you can find a nice one with the least amount of corrosion possible you wont go wrong. and it would be good if the injectors had been done too.

I cant report on the air suspension as i had the LC4 but that was super comfy, so i can only imagine the lc5 will be even better, my Touareg had full air suspension and that was lovely.

Give yourself a slap for thinking about a Ssangyong.

Last edited:
Like Joe I moved from a Collie to a 120 LC4, I've found it a big jump forward in all respects, better place to be, much more refined and comfortable. I chose a 2005 model as it has the 5 spd autobox but lower tax than the 06 onwards ones. Rust underneath is the bugbear and I looked at 10 before I found one which was acceptable and I am very pleased with it. Maintenance wise its not much different to a Collie as I do all my own. Apart from rust on the chassis, sills and back axle there is only the issue of injectors which can become noisy I can think of to be aware of. The LC5's have the heater controls on the touch screen which can be problematic if you wish to upgrade the ICE.
Good luck with your search.

Hi Steve. I also up graded to a 120 from a Collie.. It is a quieter more comfy place to be. Mines the Lc5 with air suspension. Iv got a tri axle trailer and the Truck seems to just sort the ride out really.. The touch screen is great with Loads of functions, And has never been a problem.... But like Andy and SC say Rust can be a problem.. Mines a 2004 so the lower tax bracket.. And yesterday clocked up 195,000 miles..( So Testament to the engine) It always depends on your budget.. I think a member on here paid £20,000 for a 09 reg recently.. or you can pick up a 03/04 for around £5000 if you dont mind doing a bit of work.. Non Genuine parts iv found to be quite cheap (Brakes etc).... The Colorado is a great Truck Tho I loved the simplicity of the early ones... Good luck .. Oh and a ssangyong... NO!..Go and give 'Yer' head a 'Shek'

Last edited:
Hi
I have just upgraded form an 05 LC4 to an 06 LC5, the few refinements are nice and prior to getting it i read quite alot of concerns about the air suspension and its costs if it fails!
As for the ride comfort i am sure it is better but i wouldn't say it would be a driver in making my choice, so far its been a great ship, i was very lucky with this one as it had 110k and very little rust underneath, well serviced.
Economy is very poor but hey, you have to live a little at some point in your life, towing you hardly know its there!

Simon

Hi
I have just upgraded form an 05 LC4 to an 06 LC5, the few refinements are nice and prior to getting it i read quite alot of concerns about the air suspension and its costs if it fails!
As for the ride comfort i am sure it is better but i wouldn't say it would be a driver in making my choice, so far its been a great ship, i was very lucky with this one as it had 110k and very little rust underneath, well serviced.
Economy is very poor but hey, you have to live a little at some point in your life, towing you hardly know its there!

Simon
Are you saying that the 06 lc5 is worse for economy than the 05 lc4?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
While test driving a 120 i found myself for the first time in my life wondering if i might be equally as happy in a Ford Mondeo .

An 80 or a 100 offers comfort on another level and both could tow a caravan all day every day without even noticing .

Different strokes for different folks but my 90 is my bruiser the 80 my limo .

While test driving a 120 i found myself for the first time in my life wondering if i might be equally as happy in a Ford Mondeo .

An 80 or a 100 offers comfort on another level and both could tow a caravan all day every day without even noticing .

Different strokes for different folks but my 90 is my bruiser the 80 my limo .

Good old Shayne

At the moment I'm running a 120 LC4 and my 80 24V auto side by side. Believe me, the 80 does offer comfort on a different level but its not the one Shayne's talking about.
The 80 was a Limo 25-30 years ago, even then it wasn't fantastic, the 100 series though is much more Living room Luxobarge but it was at the time one of the most expensive vehicles you could buy.
Things progress and get better as they are developed and that has to be appreciated.

I have a what you call in UK a LC5. The cost of the air suspension is not that big. Each air bag is about 200 euro , maybe a bit higher than a good quality coil, so it is not that scary, and they last between 9-11 years. I was thinking to replace mine as a precaution, by the guys at Toyota told me it is not need it and they are 10 years old.
Anyway I would gladly pay extra for ride quality and the autoleveling feature, useful when you are loaded with a lot of weight in the back.

By this time, even the newer ones they had the injectors replaced most likely, if they were faulty it is unlikely the engine will still be in one piece after all this time and miles..
I just came back from a trip to Portugal, so full load, with a RTT hardshell on and I had 11.2 l/100 km on a combination of highway, roads and off road. On the highway is was doing 120 km/h with cruise control
(about 25 mpg imperial )
So I am happy with the fuel economy as well.

The most limo like car I've had was a 1971 MB 300sel 6.3, like riding on air (it was) and could see off an E type on a good day, covered the miles like nothing else I've driven. For everyday, practical use though, the 120 meets my needs. I'm not off on big expeditions or play days, just the occasional bit of exploration in the hills. I live down a track, sometimes need to go round the fields or do a bit of journey work and, despite it's possible image as a bit of a Chelsea Tractor (mine is muddy more often than clean), the 120 has managed very well, is comfortable on a run and I haven't got it stuck yet (why did I write that?). I still keep my eyes out for a tidy 80, not through need, but I do like lorries. :) (Runs and hides).

Steve H is quiet, He must have bought a Ssangyong...:lol:..We hav'nt put you 0ff have we Steve

I have nothing against the 120 if it tickles your fancy just for me the comfort comes at the expense of character , i enjoy driving , but i'm quite sure i'd die in my sleep at speed in most modern cars on a long journey .

I have nothing against the 120 if it tickles your fancy just for me the comfort comes at the expensive of character , i enjoy driving , but i'm quite sure i'd die in my sleep at speed in most modern cars on a long journey .
I have to agree with one point there Shayne.. I find my 120 Soulless with no character what so ever..I have nothing against the 120 Mine never lets me down starts first time every time, But for me its just a car i get into every morning and drive to the Marina. Iv washed it once. Certainly never polished it.. When i compare it to the love and attention i use to give my old Colorado... Well!... The 120's for sale if anyone's interested... (May need a clean) Fully loaded...etc etc..

I have nothing against the 120 if it tickles your fancy just for me the comfort comes at the expense of character

I have to admit I'm with you on that, the 120 doesn't make me smile like the 95, not as much character.

The most limo like car I've had was a 1971 MB 300sel 6.3,[/QUOTE] Bet you wish you still got it Flint

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been on here for a while but I have been bit hectic last few days. Thank you for all your replies and thoughts. I agree with the comments from Higgy and Flint that the 95 has character and for the last couple of days mine has been faultless running around from Southampton to Bournemouth and back. I have only tried a couple of 120's and haven't seriously looked at one yet. The ones I have looked at went from stupidly rusty underneath to average rust. One I looked at (09 plate LC4) had been scraped all down the passenger side and the dealer(to good to auction) still wanted 13k for it and wouldn't budge. I will keep looking around but I am not in a rush to get one just yet.

I havent bought a Ssangyong either.....................:think:

Bet you wish you still got it Flint

Very quick and sounded lovely but could be a bit of a handful at times if not careful and some parts prices were pretty steep. Great car in its day though.

Are you saying that the 06 lc5 is worse for economy than the 05 lc4?
From my experience it does seem that the 06 LC5 is a tiny bit more thirsty than my 05 LC4, i have noticed this more on a long run out.
LC4 had Grabber AT2 and on a long run (Scotland) i was gettting about 450 to the tank, this new one with standard road tyres i seem to get 400 to the tank whatever i do!! Dont seem to get any significant difference driving at 80 all day or work and back each day!
Simon

From my experience it does seem that the 06 LC5 is a tiny bit more thirsty than my 05 LC4, i have noticed this more on a long run out.
LC4 had Grabber AT2 and on a long run (Scotland) i was gettting about 450 to the tank, this new one with standard road tyres i seem to get 400 to the tank whatever i do!! Dont seem to get any significant difference driving at 80 all day or work and back each day!
Simon
The official fuel figures are that the 06 120 was a little bit more economical and more power than the earlier models , could be service or tuning conditions on your 06 that its not giving better figs than your 05 120 or could be you are using the extra power available that is causing your 06 120 to use more fuel than the 05 . I have found driving more than 65 mph lowers fuel figs a fair bit .

Back