Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

greasing UJs.

Maybe its my grease gun but i cant for the life of me get 2 of the UJ joint nipple greased without droppin the shaft at one end

About 70% of the time I can get to all of the grease nipples without rotating the wheels.

Last edited:
Certainly, a grease gun with a flexible hose makes it easier.

Il take a picture next time am in below

You need a gun with a narrow nozzle. Mine was too large diameter and I had to reduce it in the lathe. Hardened steel though so not easy.

I think UJ nipple positions vary. Some are angled well enough to access with the prop fitted and in the best orientation (Toyota) but others could well be less accessible.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I used 4 GMB u-joints last time and I tried and tried , but I could not get grease to come out of all of the bearing caps. I used all tricks I could image, but it was impossible, even after some miles on them it was impossible.
A couple of months later all 4 u-joints failed on me and I've now got 4 genuine ones to fit this week.

I swapped all the prop nipples on my truck because they were at awkward angles , can get at them now with a short solid nozzle gun from screwfix though i move the truck about 4ft to turn the shaft .

I can get to them all, but sometimes have to rotate the rear prop depending on how it lands.

Tanks David, that’s just reminded me how knackered and horrible to use my second hand old one is and I’ve now given myself a birthday present. :thumbup:

You'll probably find a large grease gun a bit awkward for ujs on the 80. With a flexi hose its good to have a one handed gun so it can be held onto the grease nipple.
Ive started to use the air gun now tbh. Very quick and because the gun doesn't need pumping the other hand is free to hold the connector on the nipple..

Last edited:
Extended nipple is a good idea. I had them on a LR once. Close to axis as well so balance not affected much. Have to check the thread angle on the joint first to make sure they don't fowl on screwing in.

You'll probably find a large greese gun a bit awkward for ujs on the 80. With a flexi hose its good to have a one handed gun so it can be held onto the grease nipple.
Ive started to use the air gun now tbh. Very quick and because the gun doesn't need pumping the other hand is free to hold the connector on the nipple..
This was my thought with the pistol grip as I’ve struggled with the old lever one and contemplated making it a solid tube but just know that would be awkward too. New gun it is. :)

This was my thought with the pistol grip as I’ve struggled with the old lever one and contemplated making it a solid tube but just know that would be awkward too. New gun it is. :)
Exactly.
With a flexible tube a lot of times you can still get to them when they land facing up.

Back