Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Grinding/Knocking noise while in fifth gear

Griggsy05

Country Flag
australia
Hey Guys, so when I change into fifth in my hzj75 series it is making this horrible grinding knocking sound by it only happens in fifth.
Anyone got any idea why this would be ?

Cheers

It does sound like it could be the syncro for the 5th gear. Is there any difference whether you've just begun driving it or driving for some period of time? Do you know what gearbox you have? (if it's H55F it's *very* likely it's the syncro gear for the 5th, I had to rebuild it on my HZJ73 1990 when I rebuilt the gearbox for the same reason).

Hey thanks , we’ve recently bought this Ute but haven’t driven it on roads yet as it’s not registered but it’s done this in fifth ever since we’ve had it but the clutch was slipping so we changed it out the other day but it’s still doing it. No I’m not sure of what gearbox it has in it.

You can easily see if it's a H55F by looking under the truck actually and comparing it to pictures of H55F vs R151F.

Is the clutch still slipping? That might actually point to a problem with the clutch not being disengaged properly before switching gears, with the engine not running, how does it feel switching gears to the 5th both without and with pressing the clutch?

Ok well I’ll have to check some time

No it’s not slipping any more , it changes into fifth quite well while it’s off with and without clutch

Back